V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have V&H ovals on their bagger? I have an 06 RK Classic and am looking for that Harley sound without to loud of an exhaust. My concern is for sound first, I'm not looking for performance as much as I'm not an agressive rider. My dealer recommended Screaming Eagles but I don't care for the yellowing these mufflers get. Appearance matters to me. I noticed that with the ovals you can't see through them, there is a baffle. How do these compare to the stock exhaust. Any other suggestions? Thanks!.....Lou

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Lone ACE said:
. My dealer recommended Screaming Eagles but I don't care for the yellowing these mufflers get.
"Yellowing" is an indication of a lean fuel condition, not a feature of SE slip-ons, per se.

Conversely, "blueing" indicates a rich fuel condition.

The choice of which pipe is subjective and highly variable.

While I appreciate your goal of only improving the exhaust note, you really should consider the full stage I upgrade. Stage I is the most cost effective performance enhancement you can add. Stage I is also fully compatible with your warranty (or should be, I don't know about the 06 bikes and compliance with the strict new EPA regulations).

Good luck with the new sled.

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
wyodude said:
Stage I is also fully compatible with your warranty (or should be, I don't know about the 06 bikes and compliance with the strict new EPA regulations).
Legal Stage I upgrade on an '06 is just the AC/download WITH the stock mufflers...or the new touring slip ons(both cats)

·
Registered
413 Posts
I spent a few hours riding behind a guy with the VH ovals, they are much quieter than the straight thru jobs most of us have. When I could hear his over mine, they sounded OK to me. With the increasing trend here in CA of riders getting popped for ‘illegal equipment’ as a means to discourage loud pipes, not to mention the noise fatigue I sometimes get on a long haul, I would consider changing mine over to the ovals.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
xkvator said:
Legal Stage I upgrade on an '06 is just the AC/download WITH the stock mufflers...or the new touring slip ons(both cats)
xkvator,

Thanks for the clarification :cheers:

·
Registered
32 Posts
just put v & h oval slip-ons on 06 RKC last week........a little dissapointed with the sound compared to previous v & h setup on 00 Fatboy

Dave

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Mines not an '06 but I have an '03 King with the Oval Slip Ons. I like the sound, not too loud.....could have been deeper though....

Overall, the quality of the pipes are outstanding and the style is a bit different.

They're a good choice.

Tony

·
Registered
32 Posts
overall looks of the pipes are great, but sounds a little poppy to me, good sound at idle. not the deeper sound I had with my last pipes

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
slip-ons

Thanks for all the responses. I'm still undeceided on mufflers, I just can't get myself to be excited about the looks of the ovals. I will be installing the head pipes fron V&H but still looking for the right mufflers....Lou

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I have the oval slip ons on my 06 RKC with the V&H true duals. I also had the V&H's on my 05 Fat Boy. The FB is a shorter pipe and therefore has less air to push thorugh the pipes which would lead to a louder and deeper sound. Conversely the RKC has a longer travel and the sound is definitely lower and not as deep as was already suggested. If you are not doing a true dual, you may want to look at the Screaming Eagles. Good quality and it has a nice sound too. I like my ovals, but do miss the Fat Boy sound. However, when you open her up, the sound is great.
One other thought to consider, the mapping on the SE pipes is much easily done by the dealer. So the popping and other issues seem to be less evident.

·
Habitual **************.
234 Posts
Lone ACE said:
Thanks for all the responses. I'm still undeceided on mufflers, I just can't get myself to be excited about the looks of the ovals. I will be installing the head pipes fron V&H but still looking for the right mufflers....Lou
If you like the look of your stockers, Fullsac can recore them with 2" baffles. They are quieter than most at cruise but still have plenty of rumble when you crack it open.
RB

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
exhaust slip-ons

One local accessory dealer has a pair of Samson MS 200 Stealth mufflers that look awesome. They are a very heavy muffler and have, which look to be similar baffling to the V&H ovals. (You can't see through the mufflers) They retail for $528. No one there had heard them yet so they could not comment on the sound as compared to the V&H ovals. They have oval holes in the outer skin at the inlet ends to reduce heat buildup, they claim less chance of discoloration. The store did say that Samsons quality in the past has been poor and their service and back-up of their product left a lot to be desired. I called Samson directly and got some woman, claiming to be the tech rep, that didn't know squat about the mufflers so I'm uncertain as to a possible purchase. I hate when you call a company and can't talk to anyone qualified to answer your questions about their products. Guess I'll keep looking.....Lou

1 - 13 of 13 Posts