V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading all the posts, looking at the pictures, comparing dyno charts with my cam and displacement numbers and the one item that is difficult to quantify is the sound loudness. I've listened to various combinations, but never in the same environment. Does anybody know of an article on comparison of dBa/sound pressure measurements for various pipes?

I'm pretty sold on the FatCat 2 into 1, but am concerned on some of the posts I've read that they are "Loud".

My area writes tickets and of course my neighbors wouldn't appreciate that straight pipe sound as I leave for a ride at 6 am on a Sunday, so this is a factor in my decision.

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
pipes

I hear the D and D are great pipes.never had them but had true duals and basic slash cut for the last 12000 miles.Look great sound great and have good top end.But decided on something a little less loud and now have a supertrapp supermeg.sounds great and performs great.IMO

·
your ad could be here
380 Posts
Mikeburt.....

.....help us help you. Tell us about your engine build, and your driving surroundings.

So many questions of sound come up, but there are also 2 kinds of sound with pipes - those you hear from the seat, and those others hear around you. Seems like you are more concerned about the second, right?

There are a lot of quiet choices which can help keep the peace in your neighborhood. Your driving habits go a long way toward that, too.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
a good choice is a pipe with a removable baffle, that way you can
insert / add baffles to it. i had an FL baffle added to the OEM baffle on my V-rod 's rineharts, and one guy had 2 baffles welded on, for a total of 3 in each pipe.

the thing is, it's cheaper to play with baffles, than to replace the whole pipe.

i liked my thunder header on my stock TC88, you could cruise light and easy out of the neighborhood, but it was plenty loud (if not too loud) out riding.

but, the baffle is not removable, so you are stuck with that SPL.

with that said, the V&H pro pipe looks like it gets the Nod, you can buy a replacement baffle cheap, put it back to stock if needed, or add more.

I've looked at the ads, and pics, but can't figure out how to get it out, but it must be simple if they sell it separate.

(if i hit the jackpot)
I'll run a race fueler, and dyno tune it a bit rich, play with baffles to find my SPL, then go dyno again to get my AF correct.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More info

Thanks for the replies. :thanks:

My bike is an '06 Road King with a 95 kit w/1550 cast flat pistons, S&S 510 gear drive cams and a SERT. I'm currently running the 84903-99 SE muflers.

The changes I want to make are new headers and shaving the heads to bring the CR up a bit. I had planned on replacing the S&S cams with Andrews 37g cams but have been advised that I should be good. I had also planned, based on the HD dealer's recomendation, to port the heads but from what I've read about the 2006 heads and from what Dewey mentioned, I'll leave it alone.

My concern on sound is both on and off the bike, but honestly I would say I'm more concerned about being on a long ride and having the noise drive me off the bike. Even though I live in the hills, I think I could probably sneek out of the neighborhood without much problem.

·
Registered
454 Posts
drdevon said:
.....help us help you. Tell us about your engine build, and your driving surroundings.

So many questions of sound come up, but there are also 2 kinds of sound with pipes - those you hear from the seat, and those others hear around you. Seems like you are more concerned about the second, right?

There are a lot of quiet choices which can help keep the peace in your neighborhood. Your driving habits go a long way toward that, too.
I'm interested in hearing what some of these quiet choices are. I'm looking for pipes that are somewhat less noisy than my SE Pro II's. I'm more concerned with the pipes not being so noisy for people off of the bike - don't like to bother the neighbors or wake up my kids when I leave for work. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
26 Posts
04ctd said:
a good choice is a pipe with a removable baffle, that way you can
insert / add baffles to it. i had an FL baffle added to the OEM baffle on my V-rod 's rineharts, and one guy had 2 baffles welded on, for a total of 3 in each pipe.

the thing is, it's cheaper to play with baffles, than to replace the whole pipe.

i liked my thunder header on my stock TC88, you could cruise light and easy out of the neighborhood, but it was plenty loud (if not too loud) out riding.

but, the baffle is not removable, so you are stuck with that SPL.

with that said, the V&H pro pipe looks like it gets the Nod, you can buy a replacement baffle cheap, put it back to stock if needed, or add more.

I've looked at the ads, and pics, but can't figure out how to get it out, but it must be simple if they sell it separate.

(if i hit the jackpot)
I'll run a race fueler, and dyno tune it a bit rich, play with baffles to find my SPL, then go dyno again to get my AF correct.
I have the pro pipe HS, run Andrews 37's/BigSucker/PwrCmndron my FLHPI. Impressed w/ performance but to dam loud for touring. To me- w/ ear plugs and also to my passenger. Feel beat after an hour and two hours is about tourture. Like a jack hammer. I am unaware of replacement baffle that is quiter for this application although competition baffle is available. I would appreciate any suggestions on making this pipe quiter without totally destroying performance.Already looking at supertrapp. V&H no help w/problem. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts