V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I use oven cleaner on my chrome pipes. Spray a little in the cap, nowhere near the bike and painted surfaces, then apply with a Q-tip. Always apply on cold pipes, wearing goggles and rubber gloves, lightly rub and wipe. Works for me.

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
You might give fingernail polish remover a try. That's the only thing that worked to get some burned-on oil stains off of my chrome rocker boxes. It didn't mar the chrome at all, and the stains came right off.

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
A razor blade or sheet rock knife blade works well. Scrape sideways and don't use to much pressure.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Very Fine Steel Wool Rub Very lightly when the pipes are cold -
cleans all marks off chrome
removes rubber marks in in seconds
I also apply polish to them (not the head pipes) -
contrary to most beliefs it doesn't discolor them

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
A razor blade or sheet rock knife blade works well. Scrape sideways and don't use to much pressure.
I use WD-40 and a penny to scrape it off. If those other products work they should be easier but if you still can't get them off, WD-40 and a penny work very well. The penny works because it is copper and is softer than chrome and won't scratch it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I recently used steel wool #0000 with a bit of paint thinner and it took all the rubber off with very little rubbing. I was hesitant to use steel wool but the #0000 is so fine it won't scratch the chrome. I tried oven cleaner and it didn't work for me, perhaps I didn't rub it hard enough.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Used glue gone to get most of it and then very carefully used a razor blade to get the real stubborn crap off. Thanks for all your replies

·
Registered
10 Posts
Very Fine Steel Wool Rub Very lightly when the pipes are cold -
cleans all marks off chrome
removes rubber marks in in seconds
I also apply polish to them (not the head pipes) -
contrary to most beliefs it doesn't discolor them
Yup,

This is the best way I know to clean rubber and plastic off pipes. Make sure they are cold, but it takes pretty much any kind of crud off the pipes:

·
Registered
546 Posts
#0000 steel wool and paint thinner, comes right off and doesn't scratch the chrome. It only takes a couple of minutes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This thread is dedicated to household products to get the gunk off but what about commercial? Harley has a product and I have discover Purple something.... any other recommendations?

Dan Rodgerson

1 - 20 of 20 Posts