V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired an '01 FXD with a zippers 120 motor. I want to do some minor cosmetic changes including seat and exhaust. it's currently got duals on it that are decent pipes but I really like the look of V&H short shots. I know a 2-1 is a better power pipe but don't care for the looks as much. What would I be sacrificing going with the short shots compared to a good 2-1. Also just came across the S&S Grand Nat'l 2-1-2 and like the looks of it but don't know anything about it. and all I see is for 06 and up. what would it take to mount it on my 01. sorry to be so long winded, appreciate your input and thoughts on.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Well... at 120" you should have more than you need and if you lose a few TQ/HP in the mid range - who cares? I'm running 2" straight pipes tuned with bolts on a 124. Very old school. Against common wisdom I actually picked up TQ and HP over a custom-built 2:1. Go figure.

·
Registered
2007 Dyna Street Bob
8 Posts
Look up the Bassani Pro Streets, they make decent power. Not sure if they have them for your year though.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have a set of Freedom Independence Shortys that I'd let you have pretty cheap. They're in good shape, with black heat shields covering the entire length, and chrome tips. There is a scrape on the bottom, but you can't see it when they're installed. They sounded great, and to compensate for performance, I installed torque cones in the tops, so didn't notice any loss. I'll see if I can attach pics.

Here's pics of them on my bike:

When I got them, they came with a mounting bracket for a Softtail, so I don't have one for the Dyna for them.
Let me know if you're interested.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a set of Freedom Independence Shortys that I'd let you have pretty cheap. They're in good shape, with black heat shields covering the entire length, and chrome tips. There is a scrape on the bottom, but you can't see it when they're installed. They sounded great, and to compensate for performance, I installed torque cones in the tops, so didn't notice any loss. I'll see if I can attach pics.
View attachment 268162 View attachment 268163
View attachment 268164
View attachment 268165
View attachment 268166
Here's pics of them on my bike:
View attachment 268167
View attachment 268168
When I got them, they came with a mounting bracket for a Softtail, so I don't have one for the Dyna for them.
Let me know if you're interested.
I like those pretty well even though they are a little beat. What would it take to get them?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Had several pipes on my 124 the best solutions we found for performance were mid length open drags 1 3/4 duals. Had performance baffles in them and didn't realize till we blew one out the pipe what we were losing. The big motors don't care about torque cones or baffles they want air moving in and out as fast as possible with no restrictions. The 1 3/4 open pipe at mid length is all the back pressure they need. Itll be loud and obnoxious and a screamer at all rpm's just the way you want it. We did build a custom two into one but it had a 4" collector to make it work. Exhaust rules don't work with big bores just air flow.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Well... at 120" you should have more than you need and if you lose a few TQ/HP in the mid range - who cares? I'm running 2" straight pipes tuned with bolts on a 124. Very old school. Against common wisdom I actually picked up TQ and HP over a custom-built 2:1. Go figure.
Correct

·
Registered
9,446 Posts
I agree with arcangel,,, the big motors do not do well with any restructions in the exhaust,,, feed it as much fuel and air as it can burn,, and a free flowing exhaust... to get it out,, these motors will surprise you with how much fuel they will consume in the high rpm's in high gears.... mine uses a zippers built S&S G, with the full thunderjet mod package,, boring the throat of the carb as well.. it got in the low 30mpg in town,,, out on the road,, riding at 120+ mph,, it got 60 miles to a 4 gallon tank, lol,,

Ive had great success with stepped pipes,, starting at 1.75" and ending at 2.25".., good pipes will set you back in the $1000 range,, and take months to get..u

Bassani made a stepped short pipe set,, that,, on a basically stock 107" S&S motor, made just under 120hp.. with a 600 cam... with big engines,, you are not struggling to keep and make torque while not losing hp... that's small motor thinking..

·
Registered
253 Posts
I agree with arcangel,,, the big motors do not do well with any restructions in the exhaust,,, feed it as much fuel and air as it can burn,, and a free flowing exhaust... to get it out,, these motors will surprise you with how much fuel they will consume in the high rpm's in high gears.... mine uses a zippers built S&S G, with the full thunderjet mod package,, boring the throat of the carb as well.. it got in the low 30mpg in town,,, out on the road,, riding at 120+ mph,, it got 60 miles to a 4 gallon tank, lol,,

Ive had great success with stepped pipes,, starting at 1.75" and ending at 2.25".., good pipes will set you back in the $1000 range,, and take months to get..u

Bassani made a stepped short pipe set,, that,, on a basically stock 107" S&S motor, made just under 120hp.. with a 600 cam... with big engines,, you are not struggling to keep and make torque while not losing hp... that's small motor thinking..
TT, Arc -

For a while I've wondered if I'm still a little exhaust restricted and thinking of making up another set of straight pipes going 2" - 2 1/4 - 2 1/2... Too aggressive? What do you think?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I found that 1 3/4 is just about the perfect size for the slightest bit of back pressure at mid length. If your going bigger and stepped you can but I found we gained nothing going bigger on the dyno.

·
Registered
9,446 Posts
I think they would be fine honestly,, refresh me,, what size engine are you running again? ,,

the only issues i see are little to no clearance to access the flange nuts at the heads,,, there are some 7/16 12 point nuts available to cure that,, and a slight possibility the 2.5" may be a bit large,, only way to know is to try it..I know Arc has alot of experience with exhaust on a 124 on the bottle,, we did some talking quite a while back about exhaust,,, you may want to send him a PM..

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Exhaust scavenging is good but if you get to big you're actually slowing down the effect. Velocity in the pipe is good. I wouldn't think coming out of the engine that you would want much more than 1 3/4 at least for 6 inches or so minimum for that reason. At the begining of your pipe air is coming out no faster than the port will allow so unless you do some heavy porting there its not going to gain you anything plus exaught air tem is still very high and air density is still low. Now on a bigger motor you may find gain maybe but a 120" will have no problem pushing that through an 1 3/4" inch. Thats why even on the 2 into one we made we stayed 1 3/4" down to the points cover then stepped it up. Without velocity your losing the scavenging gains in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Exhaust scavenging is good but if you get to big you're actually slowing down the effect. Velocity in the pipe is good. I wouldn't think coming out of the engine that you would want much more than 1 3/4 at least for 6 inches or so minimum for that reason. At the begining of your pipe air is coming out no faster than the port will allow so unless you do some heavy porting there its not going to gain you anything plus exaught air tem is still very high and air density is still low. Now on a bigger motor you may find gain maybe but a 120" will have no problem pushing that through an 1 3/4" inch. Thats why even on the 2 into one we made we stayed 1 3/4" down to the points cover then stepped it up. Without velocity your losing the scavenging gains in my opinion.
The torque cones I've seen are a 1" or 1 1/4" opening. Too restrictive even for a good 95"er. I.m not disagreeing about the 1 3/4" pipe. I agree there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts