V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Road King Classic. I want to put aftermarket slip-ons on it, but I'm not sure what kind to get. I like the dimensions of the stock mufflers. I talked to several dealers and got some different recommendations. 2 told me Vance & Hines, 1 said SE and one told me Kerkers. I had a 2000 Heritage with a carb. I put SE IIs on it and I didn't think that they were loud enough (by the way, I still have those pipes if anyone's looking for any). I then put Python IIIs on it and I liked the sound of those.

I'm leaning toward the Kerkers right now. Anybody have any bad experiences with them? Do you like the sound? Is there any difference with the Mikuni baffles and should you use them in a FI bike?

The dealers also told me different things about the installation. 3 said you need the Stage I and the remap when changing the mufflers. 1 said that if you just change the mufflers, you don't need to do anything else, although they recommend that you do.

I was thinking of putting the pipes on now and the Stage I and remap in the spring. Any problems with just replacing the pipes for now?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Welcome to the forum tbirris? How long have you been here? Sometimes people look around first and read the other threads before posting -- have you had a chance to do that? There is a real good search tool that lets you type in the word and then it will go out and find all the threads that relate. Like for example the word "exhaust" -- from what I've read (because I am learning just like you) your idea about not remaping until the spring doesn't sound like the best decision.
I hope you get the answers you need -- I'm sure the experts will jump in here soon to help you out.
Take care and keep posting -- let us know

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cox9000,

Thanks for the input. I'm new to this forum, but I've been riding HDs for years. This is my first fuel injected bike. I tend to agree with you that it might not be a good idea to just replace the mufflers without the remapping. But, like I said, this is my first fi and I'm not sure. If just putting the slip-ons on the bike is going to cause noticeable perfomance problems with just regular riding or if it is going to discolor the mufflers, I'd rather wait and get the whole thing done at one time. Thanks again.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Hi welcome, I have Kerkers and like them on a carbed Flht also se high flow and rejet the only problem I had was with the clamps that came with the pipes they came loose so I put the Harley clamps on with a lock nut , bike runs great

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How is the sound on the Kerkers? I've read that you can take some or all of the packing off of the baffles for a little more sound. I did this with SE pipes on a '93 dresser w/SEs and it sounded a lot better. I think they are the same or similar pipes. I think that I did a little modification to the baffle too, but I don't remember. Thanks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I put the Vance & Hines Slip ons on my 02 Ultra Fuel Injected bike in late Sept of last year. I didnt get the re mapping done at this time. The bike ran fine. Sometime in late March I installed the SE breather and the bike ran way too lean (ran great!!) but way too hot. Took it in for the remapping and the bike performes great. The V&H sound is suitable for a bagger not too loud on the highway but when you rip the throttle you definately can hear it.

Bassoni <spelling>> makes slip on's with an awesone sound. Very deep rumble to them. They will be the next slip on's I personnaly will go with.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I guess I am a little slow on the replying, but I like the sound of the kerker pipes, I have not taken any packing out,but they do seem louder after 10k miles, they have a very deep rumbly sound, and are mellow sounding at idle which is good for me because I leave for work early and don't want to piss off the neighbors. They are loud when you crack it open, but with more of a deep resonating sound, hard to explain, they do not have that hallow sounding open pipe sound, if that makes any sense. ride safe rickpoco

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up getting the Kerkers. I took all of the packing out at first, but had some popping on decel. I replaced only that part of the packing that goes around the baffle at the end under the lip where the nuts for the endcaps are welded on. Not too loud, but sounds good. I've been thinking about a power commander, but the bike runs pretty good now. Did when it was stock, too. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i'm slower than the last person, but do you have the SE's anymore? Kerkers are nice, but i have fuelie.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry, the SEs I had are gone, but they were for a '00 Heritage, I don't think they would fit your bike. I ended up putting the Kerkers on my '01 Road King. It's a fuelie. Put on a PC and took some of the packing out of the mufflers. Fishtail endcaps. Bike looks, runs and sounds good. You should consider them.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I followed the path of Quaylued. Factory SE performance slip ons, w/ stage 1, theb Bassini (mostly for looks). Both worked very well (stilss have the SE's for sale, see classified's). The Bassini's give a deeper sound, but didn't seem to have as much power (?)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts