V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad just bought an 06 and hates the way it sounds. Just looking for some options to get rid of the cats. I haven't seen it yet, but do they have O2 sensors as well? Any ideas on swapping out the 06 exhaust would be appreciated!

·
Professional Lurker
15 Posts
just about every thing that applies to the Heritage Springer as far as exhaust, will apply to the Springer Classic. I've gone through four sets of pipes. Samson makes two slip-on fishtail models. With baffles and without. Without is very loud, a nice loud but loud. Samson also killed the performance on a built motor.
Kerker makes a nice slip-on, with a baffle can be removed easily, and Supertrapp has a disc system that allows you add or remove discs to change the sound and tone.

After that you can look a true dual set-up and Torres cycle concepts makes a nice one of those.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks hspring03. The fishtips are what he's going for I think. Keep the nastalgic look. Any word on O2 sensors or do they just have cats on the 06 model?

·
Professional Lurker
15 Posts
My 03 is injected, it did not have a sensor. I don't know about the 06
When I put the samsons without baffles on the stock motor, it ran hot. The computer should have had a stage I put on. Since then I did a 95 kit with heads and a cam, so I went with a power commander.

·
FYJIGM
1,147 Posts
I've got an 05 Springer Classic with the TCC true duals with the SE slip ons with the dual groove end caps. Only regret is that I did not go with the fishtail caps but that's an easy fix.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've also heard that the 05 and 06 have the same exhaust. Anyone know if there's any truth to that?

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
My neighbor has an 06 Springer Classic and he went with the Sampson Fishtails. They looked and sounded so good, I decided to put them on my 06 Deluxe. They actually sound better on the Springer!

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Tooz said:
My neighbor has an 06 Springer Classic and he went with the Sampson Fishtails. They looked and sounded so good, I decided to put them on my 06 Deluxe. They actually sound better on the Springer!
I have the samson fishtails on my deluxe and they look and sound great! I don't know how they can sound better on the springer when there the same exhaust.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
mori55 said:
I have the samson fishtails on my deluxe and they look and sound great! I don't know how they can sound better on the springer when there the same exhaust.
It's the air Mori...the air is thicker there...like some of their heads...:sofa: :xhere:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Had V&H Fishtail mufflers on my '06 for a while, they llooked great............ performed ok.
Replaced them with D&D FatCat 2:1 and definitely felt an increase in performance.
That's my recommendation! Not as nostalgic looking but painted Black gives them an old-school look.

·
Registered
6,910 Posts
Woody72 said:
Thanks hspring03. The fishtips are what he's going for I think. Keep the nastalgic look. Any word on O2 sensors or do they just have cats on the 06 model?
I've got an '06 FLSTSC/I and went with the Samson Fishtails, the true dual longtails with short mufflers (S-432). I bought the '07 version of the pipes for the '02 sensors bungs because I was also installing the Thunder Max with Auto Tune closed-loop fuel management system. It's tight around the back cylinder, but the '07 pipes do fit on the '06. However, I had trouble with the '07's transmission linkage: Couldn't screw it in because the bend was too sharp and wouldn't clear the bike. I had to call Samson and ask them to send me the '06 version. They overnighted it. However, as a stopgap -- of course, I couldn't wait -- I bent the stock version into an arc, like a bow, so it would fit under the pipe and hooked it up. It worked fine. I didn't replace it until a few weeks later, and I still had to straighten the Samson linkage's bend a bit to get it to work. But work it does.

The sound of the pipes is awesome. The classic stereo potato, potato sound.Some people say they're not loud enough, but for me it's the quality of the noise, not the quantity. I want my bike to sound like a Harley, not a funny car. And they're plenty loud when you open it up. I guess you do lose a little low end because there's no crossover pipe, but personally I'm too busy grinning to notice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
samson fishtails

does anyone know if i can run samson fishtails on my 07 springer classic with everything else stock? ie,if you leave intake stock,can you use more open mufflers without getting too lean? can i check the plugs,etc to monitor leanness?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts