V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i just bought a 06 road glide fi. i would like to put a set of screaming eagel slip ons. but the dealer says i will have to buy a programer and let them install and do a dyno to keep from hurting anything. to make a long story short the slip ons only cost about 300$. but if i let them do every thing it will be about 1200. kind of expensive for slip ons. any help or advice would be greatly app.
.:wacko:

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
LOCK UP, welcome to the forum. You might to take a minute & introduce yourself in the "My story" forum. Next take a few hours to search the technical forums, there is a wealth of knowledge here.
Now to answer your question. Don't let the dealer sell you SE one piece slipons. They cost less but they sound like crap. they'll make your bike time miserable.
If you just replace the mufflers you may get away without retuning. Here's where you need to do your homework to learn about your choices and to learn from others sucesses & mistakes.

·
05 FLHTCI
345 Posts
Don't be in a rush

Lock up,

Welcome. Don't be in a hurry to do "something" unless you have deep pockets and don't mind wasting a lot of money. The biggest concern is going to be appearance and sound. For a stock bike slip ons will not make that much of a difference either way. I like the Kromewerks and S & S SPO slip ons. An air cleaner would help with power too. If you do these two things, plus add a fuel adder device like a DFO or TCI (same product) then you will be in good shape. The big question is are you stopping with just exhaust? If so, then the above is a fine strategy, if not than you should do a lot more research.

David

·
Registered
65 Posts
Welcome Lockup

Welcome to the RG club. My bike is currently at the dealership awaiting a Big Bore Stage II kit, and a V-H 2-1 Pro Pipe...
The price your dealer quoted sounds about right, at full retail price. That price should include a SE Race Tuner kit ($450), Pipes ($300), (ECM Flash 150), and labor @ about $65/per hour. Sounds about right. However, you should have worked w/your dealer to sell you the pipes at a discount, including the flash or SE Race tuner kit... So, your total cost should be about 25% less than what he quoted you, at minimum. Actually, you should have received a 50% discount due to purchasing your bike in the winter...If you opt for just the one time ECM flash, instead of the SE RTK, you'd save the $450...
However, being that our bikes are 06 models w/the new EPA regs, precluding a dealer from remapping your stock bike, you (we) may have to adhere to the new EPA regs that supposedly a dealer can be fined for tuning your new motorcycle...
So, we (you) may be at your dealers mercy to perform the work for you at a cost that they feel is justified. It is the cost of doing business w/a dealer that is in the business to make money and to protect their interest...
Outside of all of this, I'd consider another pipe if performance is your goal. SE's 2-1 pro pipe is superior to the slip ons. You get so much more torque out of that pipe, vis-a-vis a slip on...You need torque down low to get a bagger moving out of the hole. Get a 2-1 pipe.... Trust me!
Welcome again, Mate!
BB:clap:

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Lock up I went with the recored slip ons from fullsac www.fullsac.com Nice sound but not too loud. Pics are in my photo album, link below. Be sure and keep your stock mufflers, just in case you need them in the future.

·
Registered
9 Posts
After an ungodly amount of research, I've decided to go with Rush muffler set. You can visit their website for info. I'm taking a chance since I haven't personally heard or seen them. My bike is an '06 Screamin' Eagle Ultra. This is my 11th new Harley. I have only left one of my bikes stock. This is my
7th Electra Glide. I personally don't like extremely loud pipes on my touring bikes. On long trips they get old fast! The Rush mufflers are available with different size baffles depending on what you personally desire for sound and power curve. I have had SuperTrapps, HD slip ons, both performance and "Touring Mufflers". If you want true duals, Vance and Hines sells the header pipes, and you can still use the Rush mufflers. I also plan on using the Race Tuner and K&N air filter. I have S&S gear drive cams in another bike, and really like them. Eventually I will have these installed on my new Ultra. I will box up the beautiful SE Touring Mufflers that came with my bike- I love the looks, but it's TOO quiet for my taste. I am not looking for maxium horsepower, just good power where I will use it. Not TOO loud, but a nice deep rumble. Rush Motorcycle Products was happy to give me the names of some mechanics who have been using and testing these mufflers, and they seem to have what I am looking for. -Good luck!

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Exhaust, fuel management and Air cleaner.

Mr Lockup,
Lots of good folk talking and asking questions about the same in " Exhaust Disscousions". Why not get yourself over there pilgrim?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts