V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having completed an exhaustive search (pun intended), I can see there are many opinions regarding mufflers for dressers.

The loudness of a pipe is subjective, to say the least.....what appears quiet to one is too loud for another.

My quandry is this: I will taking delivery of a FLTR in March, and am already looking for the right pipes. The ability to listen to the radio is important to me, so that factors into my decision. I used to have Samson Silver Bullet mufflers on my old 87 FLHS, and loved the sound.....but, I didn't have a radio...or delphi injection.

I love the looks of the Harley Touring Mufflers with billet end caps, but worry that I won't get any sound, or that performance will suffer.

The e-pipe sounds like the perfect balance, and appears to be the power king, but yuucckk! Looks that kill.

So the question is this: Are there any dyno comparisons published? In other words, are there "real" differences between Samson and the e-pipe, or are we talking about 2-3 horsepower at a range above what I ride?

Does the H-D Touring Muffler really yield that much in power to the others?

Do the Samson rolled thunder mufflers use the same baffle as the silver bullet?

I plan on initially doing the S-E Air Cleaner, along with the purchase of the EFI race tuner; will then probably move on to the 95" kit, probably also installing Andrews TW-26 cams (new gear drive).

TIA,

Oz

·
Registered
458 Posts
I just took off a set of HD touring mufflers Friday night, and put on a set of Wild Pig pipes. A few on here were saying they liked them so I gave them a try. For $130. shipped you couldn't go wrong.
Anyway I took the HD off because the right one was always turning blue and I got tired of cleaning it.
I know what most of the problem is, its a 95" and I pull a trailer part time.
Anyway the Wild Pig pipes are just a little louder than the HD, but you can still talk without yelling and still hear the radio just fine. And there the best sounding ones I've heard yet on a bagger. A lot around here run V&H but to me they sound a little on the tinny side.
I asked a few others how they compaired to the others, they said these are better. I know they aren't lieing cause they said my Kirkers on the 97 sounded like ****. I didnt like them either though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts