V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cracked cross over heat shield on my stock exhaust (93 fxsp-sp) and having a whale of a time locating another one. I could pull the pipes and weld up the cross-over holes and fix the problem. My question is what will it do to my low end. I plan on doing a performance upgrade on the top end next month.
10to1 pistions, cam, head work ect.
I would like to keep the exhaust system looking stock as I have the old style Bolonia cut HD mufflers and love the sound.
Is there another set of pipes that look like the stock pipes (less the cross-over) that would be better for performance.
Thanks all.

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
For years S&S said a 2-2 with a crossover (stock headpipe) and low restriction slip-ons was their reccomended set up. Harley goes to the expense of the crossover for some reason.
For those reasons I'd find or fab a heatshield.
I assume you've been looking on Ebay?

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have Been searching Ebay every day and still no luck on the heat shield.
Guess I will keep looking. I have a old set of drags that I may try and run with the mufdflers attached and see how it affects the performance before I try any mods on the stock exhaust. Thanks for the advice.:thanks:

·
Registered
12 Posts
A crossover is prolly a good thing. I've been running without them for years and it seems fine to me. The indies around here say Cycle Shacks are hard to beat for power and price.
You also could wrap the crossover and pipes. I would wrap the crossover first-lap the ends onto the pipes, & either silicone or tie them to the pipes. Then wrap the pipes, capturing the crossover ends.
Google "exhaust heat wrap" or some such---There's a good how-to there.
About $50 for the wrap---Supposed to aid performance too.:chopper:

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
These stock exhausts can be found on eBay cheap and in like new condition. I got a complete exhaust, for a spare, for my bike, looked almost new.

Another option is to take your crossover heat shield to a welding shop, have it welded and then send it out to be chromed.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I should have added in my last post that if you are going to do engine mods for performance, a good 2 into 1 is also an option. An aftermarket 2 into 1 will also save some weight, the stock exhaust weighs a ton.

If you want to keep the H-D bolonia mufflers, you will lose low end and get a power dip in your mid range if you eliminate the crossover tube.

Nightrider.com offers a wealth of info on H-D performance inprovements.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks "Old Goat" I just don't like the looks of a 2-1 system. I realy want to keep the bike looking stock, and with the floor boards from the police bike that I added it leaves little choice on what exhaust that will fit the bike.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Theoretically the crossover should reduce backpressure as each cylinder now has two mufflers to remove exhaust instead of just one. I know purists will disagree with me, but I like the looks of the crossover, function over form. Of course, I also ride an FXR, the poster bike for performance over looks(even though my personal opinion is that it has the best of both).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Cross Pipe

For a 2 into 2,the cross-over pipe works, especially on the street. Cycle Shack is next door to us, so I get to see and talk to Buzz (one of the owners) often. They make a good slip-on but I don't see it in the catalogues anymore for FXR's-like alot of stuff being dropped for them. Cycle Shack uses a better style baffle than most other simular applications. I like the taper because it looks more like stock, although smaller in diameter. I have had great luck in blowing out the stock mufflers with a stick welder. Mike Roland (race fame) made a set of pipes for me to be used on an engine (97"Shuemaker/Roland) he built and used stock mufflers blown out. They work and still have adequate back pressure for the street.
The end note-I believe I have a cover for you at the shop...if it is the cover you need. I'm at home now but can check for sure in a few hours.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey let me know if you think you have the shield.
For the time being I took a set of drag pipes, cut them to length and will attach the mufflers and see how it does. The engine will be stage 3 so this may work out for me.
But I still want to keep all the stock stuff in case I want the original look.
Thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
Crossover needed?

The backpressure created by the crossover tube helps to maintain a regular idling speed at very low revs. You might get the engine 'hunting' for fuel if you remove it. Having said this, a 2 into 1 would more or less provide the same effect as a crossover as much as this issue is concerned.

Nice riding
Ad
'89 FXR
'97 Fatboy
'98 Sportster

1 - 14 of 14 Posts