V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put a deposit on a '03 Roadglide, and already looking at pipes. Much like the previous thread, I want a little rumble while still being able to hear the radio at speed. But I want to take a different approach:

If stock pipes are a 1, and Thunderheaders are a 10, how would you rate the following pipes:

a. Harley Touring Mufflers
b. Screamin' Eagle one piece
c. Sampson Silver Bullet/Rolled Thunder (I'm assuming both of these differ only in styling)
d. Vance and Hines
e. Wild Pig

Thanks in advance,

Oz

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
HD Touring - 1.5 - 2
After 8,000 miles they started to get louder and now have a very nice sound at idle but at speeds over 40...too quite.

Screamin' Eagle one piece - IMHO on my FLHTC (now sold), they got "tinny" and loud after 10,000 miles.

Now I'm looking at Bassani.
Brian

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BRWK,

Where are you at in Maryland? I grew up on the eastern shore (Easton); my father currently lives in Salisbury.

Oz

·
Registered
458 Posts
I just took off my HD touring pipes and put on Wild Pig. They sound better and the bike runs better too. A friend has VH on his bagger and everyone likes my WP more than my old ones or his.

·
Still Serving...U.S. Army
160 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Here'e my .02 Cents worth...

FWIW...

A = 2
B = 3.5
C (Rolled Thunder) = 6
D = ~5.5
E = N/A

You might consider the Khrome Werks Touring slip-ons. They have 3-versions. They have a nice deep sound, too. I would rate them like this:

Khrome Werks HP Plus Touring = 5
Khrome Werks HP Plus 100's = ~7

They also carry a one-piece touring muff, called HP Plus Lite, which is the same as the Touring, but does not allow inter changing the tips. They cost less.

I am currently running the KW HP Plus 100's, and they are a nice compromise.

I listen to the tunes maybe 30% of the time while riding. I can hear them just fine, unless I'm bang'n the gears to out run a semi (I do have the high power H-D amp/speaker option too. Just 2-speakers).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts