V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This should get a few good laughs from the forum, but I am totally new to this.

My experience in riding has been on enduros, it's all I ever had. This past year I bought a cruiser. On occasion I started it up in the garage through the winter, I put it away clean with 910 miles on it. Today upon getting it ready for riding season, I noticed that the head end of my exhuast was discolored from what I think was heat. It was not like this when I put it away. With my enduros, I never worried about this. Is this normal, or could I clean this up. It's a pretty bike and I'd like to keep it that way, even though I suspect I did something stupid.

I'd really appreciate your help, maybe I should store it differently?

Thanks

·
Banned
41 Posts
-2$en#e- many years ago, i was in a mc repair shop and saw the mechanics using large fans in front of the bikes while running the engines. i was told that if you let the engine run without cooling air the pipes will discolor. too much heat and no cooling turns the pipes gold and blue. how long are you letting your bike idle in the garage? i limit the time i let my bike run in an enclosed space.-2$en#e-

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I try to let it run only about 10 mins. Once I forgot about it and it ran for quite a while. I would suspect that this caused the discoloration. I put 910 miles on it this past season (I got it in mid Aug) and the pipe was like brand new. That's why I suspect it was the idling and an error on my part by storing it improperly for the winter.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
The Lorax said:
On occasion I started it up in the garage through the winter.....
Not a very good thing to do. Some guys will say it doesn't hurt the bike, but more say it will. Starting the bike and letting it run in the garage during the winter (or summer) does nothing good for the bike and several things that can be bad. Without letting the engine run at operating speed for some time, your engine won't burn off internal condensation and other nasty combustion byproducts. Condensation, unburned fuel and acids will accumulate in your oil doing this. Not good.

If you're concerned about the battery during the winter and other non-riding times, buy something like a Battery Tender (NOT a trickle charger) and leave it hooked up when parked.

Most really good chrome and metal polishes will help your exhaust. Wenol and Auto-Wenol come to mind.

T113

1 - 6 of 6 Posts