V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody besides Dewey and SBC have an exchange program for porting heads? I just can't live with the downtime! I know it sounds childish, but it is 74 degrees where I live...as we speak.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
guitback said:
Does anybody besides Dewey and SBC have an exchange program for porting heads? I just can't live with the downtime! I know it sounds childish, but it is 74 degrees where I live...as we speak.

You could buy a set of take off heads off of ebay and then send them off.

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
We have a lot of people buy a set off eBay and then have the seller ship them directly to us for porting, this saves the cost and time of shipping them twice. Depending on what you are looking for, sometimes we can supply a set of low milage take offs for around the same price as what you can find them on eBay for.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
You should be able to pull yours off in a weekend. Loss more time waiting for an auction to end. But I agree ebay is next best choice.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I just finished pulling my heads off my 02 FLHT ( First time wrenching on a twin cam), Total time = 8 hours. The hardest part was removing the exhaust. Its a good feeling doing it yourself, I hope I remember how it all goes back together:hystria:

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Others that may have something in stock are HDWrench who is a sponsor here, or AMS.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Branch flowmetrics does an exchange program....but I'm sure the options mentioned above will provide comparable results for less than the $850.00 branch gets for their heads.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The shop I work at doesnt do exchange, we have been stuck with bad cores in the past.
Basic price is 650.00.
We do Custom S&S engines as our main speciality. We also do HD heads for other shops along with crankcase and antique engine restorations.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
I am working on exchange heads now, problem is that many times the E-bay one you buy that get shipped directly are not in the best shape, or are shipped / packed incorrectly. I just had a set show up that had a broken fin, deep gouges around the exhaust port area. Most likely from the pipe being install or removed. That may be grea for you but someone else took off a head in 100% shape and wants a head back in same shape. I have 3 sets of cores right now that are 100% I am working on more. The three I have are in rotation at this time.

I will have 9 sets here in another few weeks. I have them shipped here and inspect them take pictures, if they are good I let the customer know that all is well if not, then we go from there.

E-bay is a option, but I think a local dealer is a better way.

Now if you buy heads from e-bay send them here I will buy your take off's once you are done with the build.

·
Registered
255 Posts
sorry had to post this response

guitback said:

ohh waaaaaa 74 degrees just kidding....... here it is 6 inches snow and colder than a polar bears ...... and have not rode since 03 Nov 2005 :roflback:

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Whats a good way to pack them? Was thinking of cutting up cardboard and taping it in pieces to head.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Best way to pack them is bolting them to a wood platform like HQ does.
Second best way are the boxes new heads from the dealer come in, packed into another outer box with peanuts between the boxes.
Pretty sure HQ will also sell you ported heads and credit you the core charge when yours arrive in good condition.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Just saw you are in El Paso, couple of other options close to you are Lozano Bros in San Antonio and Harold at Port Pro's in Austin, they both are very good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.