V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2005 EFI Road King standard with Stage 1 kit, screaming eagle slip-ons, race tuner and dyno work. It's the noisiest engine I've ever heard. The dealership says it's a little noisy but there's nothing that can be done about it. I've not had a twin cam before but other Road King's I've ridden have no engine noise and a rich exhaust sound is all you hear when riding them. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I'd like to hear your bike as I am dealing with the same thing with my Road King. I learned to ride on a liquid cooled, dual overhead cam v-twin, so these noises are foreign to me too!

All of the research I've done on this forum tends to lean towards the idea of that's just the way Harleys are.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I've got an '05 Road King and I get an irritating noise emanating from the front cylinder, left side, up in the rockers... or so it seems. I installed something called a Baisley Spring in the cam chest and it is now better.

I bought an iPod and it solved the problem completely.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just learned about the Baisley spring (and I've ordered one). I hope it helps as much as I've read it does, considering it's a $12.95 part! Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
noisey tc88

i too was raised on a overhead cam v twin i purchased my road king 1 mo. ago its an 06 it has been back to the dealer 4 times for the noise and im sorry to say they say its normal . it makes me sick but everyone says live with it. i also was told to do a search for baisey spring i bought one and put it in after only having the bike 2 weeks------ it didn't help too much. its real easy to do takes 2.5 hrs you need the spring a cam cover gasket and exh. gaskets. for abought 30 bucks its worth a try. but dont get too excited some say it works and some say it doesn't. you would think with all the cash harley is making they could throw more into r&d to clear up what the metrics already know. not sure if hd is for me we'll have to see if i can get over the rattle.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
MACKDADDI said:
i too was raised on a overhead cam v twin i purchased my road king 1 mo. ago its an 06 it has been back to the dealer 4 times for the noise and im sorry to say they say its normal . it makes me sick but everyone says live with it. i also was told to do a search for baisey spring i bought one and put it in after only having the bike 2 weeks------ it didn't help too much. its real easy to do takes 2.5 hrs you need the spring a cam cover gasket and exh. gaskets. for abought 30 bucks its worth a try. but dont get too excited some say it works and some say it doesn't. you would think with all the cash harley is making they could throw more into r&d to clear up what the metrics already know. not sure if hd is for me we'll have to see if i can get over the rattle.
I really do love my vivid black Road King Classic. I've wanted a black H-D (originally I wanted a Heritage Softail Classic) since I was 12 years old, but life was so much easier with my '99 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad...and I don't just mean engine "tick".

Oh well, I guess you have to pay to play! :beer:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I hope you all come up with a solution or at least an answer. I have the same thing at about 2500 to 3000.
(2005 FLHTC)At least it is more noticeable there. It sounds like rocker arm clatter but I have adjusted the valves and even had the HD shop check them. The engine has had some work and has been tuned by a very reputable dealer (Tillys) and it is still there. I was afraid it may be detonation but from what I have read there is a lot of this noise thing going around. I have a stock 2000 Soft Tail Standard with only pipes and an airbox. Very quiet. I was considering the Baisley spring as well. I just did not want to be the (me first) this time. Good luck.

·
2005 Road King Classic
1,632 Posts
Might be the "new" injectors for 2006.:unsure:

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Gdellatorre said:
Have a 2005 EFI Road King standard with Stage 1 kit, screaming eagle slip-ons, race tuner and dyno work. It's the noisiest engine I've ever heard. The dealership says it's a little noisy but there's nothing that can be done about it. I've not had a twin cam before but other Road King's I've ridden have no engine noise and a rich exhaust sound is all you hear when riding them. Any ideas?
Wondering if you've had the chance to ride it with the windshield removed...just to see how much quieter it is that way...??

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Noise

For what it's worth, here is my .02 cents worth...

I have a 2005 Softail Springer Classic with just over 4k miles on it. Stage I upload with SE pipes. I too, was about to go nuts with the clatter the twin cam engine was producing. I took it to the dealer and of course, no problems found.

They did replace the valve guide seals due to excessive oil consumption, which fixed that particular problem. At the same time, they replaced the SYN3 oil with regular Dino HD oil. As soon as I got it home, I installed a Baisley oil pressure relief spring.

My engine is much quieter now, but still has some noise every now and then. It doesn't seem to agitate me as much as it did, but maybe I'm becoming more and more used to it.

The guys I ride with on a regular basis don't have the engine noise my bike does, which ticks me off when the dealer says "normal engine noise".

Removing the windsheild does make a difference, as the engine noise is "swept" off the bike, versus kind of "floating up" to my ears.

Bottom line for now... My engine is quieter than before. Perhaps a combination of the Baisley spring and Dino oil, but still not as quiet as I would expect and not as quiet as others that I ride with. Just don't expect the Baisley spring to be the "cure all" for engine noise.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Hoosierhog88

To see pix of my ride, go to...
http://beta.propichosting.com/Album.aspx?folder=450007794

·
Registered
278 Posts
OHV/AIR COOLED -- its gonna make noise. There's a LOT goin' on. But I know where your comin from. I have an '04 FLHRCI that ticked and chirped..etc So what did I do... I installed Gear drive cams and now it sounds like a Train! :yikes: Get an HB125 to keep the primary chain adjusted all the time and keep good lube in the tranny too. Lots of metal gears working down there.

My ticking is all but gone after I had SBC do the heads. The Baisley didn't do a whole lot on its own. I put an extra 1/4 twist on the adj. pushrods when I reinstalled cause I kept thinking most of the noise is in the hydraulic lifters. As oil viscosity changes due to heat and time, so does the response time of the lifters and at certain RPM and temps, there's gonna be a millisec of freeplay on the upstroke and you're gonna hear some tick tick click click noise. No worries. Thats why the engine is usually quieter after changing oil.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
The guy I ride with had the same or a similar problem with his Electra Glide. His valve seals were replaced too, and he still is not happy. In addition, he did a 95" kit from the dealer, installed V&H Duals and lots of crome. He had it Dyno'd with a SERT installed and says now the bike runs just like when he had a stage 1 . The Dyno read 76 HP. I think he'll just trade it in on an Ultra next year, but he'll lose a lot.

Personally, if I had real concerns about my engine after having it checked out, I'd use synthetic oil and extend my warranty, and I'd probably trade it in. I wish I knew a better solution...Tom

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's fantastic that so many of you responded to this thread. I appreciate it. On the other hand, it's a damn shame as well. I'm going to install the Baisley spring, I'm already using HD Dino oil and then I'm going to ride it for a while and see what happens. I'll not put any more $$$ into the bike and will likely trade it in...and insist on a test ride of every bike I consider. Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Try an EVO

The last bike you guys should have been accustom to before riding a TWC was an EVO, you’d have thought your TWC was a vast improvement LOL!

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
I am having alot of noise in a 1999 Ultra I just picked up this week..Only 5k miles and like showroom new..Sounds ticky like valves...Fresh oil change done and still same noise...The oil can light on the dash comes on for the first 1/4-1/5 mile in the morning than goes off and stays off...Oil level is fine...Any ideas?

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
bedemonster said:
Interesting.

"From 1999 - 2001, Johnson-Hylift supplied lifters to Harley-Davidson...
Johnson-Hylift designed and produced a special piston and valve body
to work across the temp ranges and varying oil psi typically encountered
on an air-cooled engine such as the Harley. Since late 2001, HD has used
Delphi brand hydraulic lifters. That's why there was a Harley p/n change
from 18538-99 to 18538-99A and now 18538-99B. However, Delphi did not
use a 0.655" hi-volume / hi-pressure plunger piston and valve body
specifically designed for Harley as found in the Johnson-Hylift lifters.
Instead, Delphi essentially used a small block Chevy lifter. The main
difference is the Delphi lifter tries to boost the hydraulic psi by decreasing
the piston diameter, but this leads to a smaller high pressure oil reservoir.
The volume is too small and allows the lifter to clatter. That may be why
so many of the late model Twin-Cam bikes are noisy. After doing some
research AMS learned these Delphi version 18538-99B lifters are made too
small to stand up to Harley's heavy valve spring pressure. The oil reservoir
inside the lifter is too small. It doesn't hold enough oil to let the lifter bleed
off under normal use and still have a cushion of compressed oil to take up
valve train slack. Note: ALL lifters bleed off during operation and even
more-so when the bikes sits, engine off.

AMS went back to Johnson-Hylift's Chuck Hicks, the original
manufacturer / engineer of the earlier HD 18538-99 lifters, which
don't seem to be as noisy as those made by Delphi. Working with Chuck,
AMS modified a Johnson-Hylift lifter, to accept a very precise check valve
from an A900 Ford Mustang lifter. Then we used a large plunger that
allows more oil reservoir volume, and a ball seat that fits much tighter,
yet has an oil feed groove to allow more upper rocker box oiling. What
this does is give us a lifter with a much bigger internal oil reservoir that
will keep the lifter / pushrod from bleeding too much and bottoming out.
The bigger reservoir maintains a cushion of oil inside. The ball seat
ensures better top-end rocker oiling and better pushrod tip fit.... all of
which makes for a quieter lifter.

Our p/n for these AMS Hylift lifters is LIF2148. We recommend using stock
non-adjustable pushrods with them... however adjustable pushrods will work
too - but it does require getting the preload set within the .080" to .100" range.

There are a dozen other things that can cause "lifter" noise - it can be coil
bind, rocker to spring cap interference, spring cap to stems / guide length
interference, poor oiling, high lift cam profile causing loft, overheating motor,
wrong oil viscosity for ambient temperatures, aerated oil, low oil pressure,
gear drive backlash, etc. However if you're convinced you've eliminate all of
these things, and the lifters still rattle, then the next step is to try another set
of lifters, preferably the AMS LIF2148's with their larger oil reservoirs. Many
times this will lessen or eliminate the noise. For more info and a special
discounted price quote on the LIF2148, give us a call at 1-800-210-8675."

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I just don't understand. With all these engine noise issues, why would a dealer say this is normal. It's not normal. My 03 Lowrider is actually pretty quiet, except for the exhaust. The only valve train noise I have, is a slight whirring sound much like the valve noise you get from any engine. It's a smooth, quiet running engine. :coffee:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts