V-Twin Forum banner

Evolution Serial Number Identification

Tags
carb evo vin
6K views 12 replies 2 participants last post by  kkrutop 
#1 ·
I built a bike in the 90's with an Evo engine. It needs a new oil pump and carb. The dealer can't identify the year of the engine by the 10 digit serial number because it isn't the same as the 17 digit VIN. Any idea how I can determine what year it is or does it matter? Closer as I can tell, the heads are the same from 92-99, so S&S carb kit should work but there are a few different oil pump configurations from those years.

#2 ·
With the case number you can determine the year and day it was made. With Engine serial number you can determine what year and model the engine came from. You can use this to figure it out. Big Boyz Head Porting - Vin and Engine Number Analyzer
Just put in the corresponding numbers and letters from the engine serial number and leave the rest of the letters and numbers in place.

#3 ·
With the case number you can determine the year and day it was made. With Engine serial number you can determine what year and model the engine came from. You can use this to figure it out. Big Boyz Head Porting - Vin and Engine Number Analyzer
Just put in the corresponding numbers and letters from the engine serial number and leave the rest of the letters and numbers in place.
Thanks. I tried to enter the number on their site but no luck. Will give Big Boyz a call and see what they say. Thanks.

#10 ·
That should be out of a 1989 FLHTC
On the bottom of the engine case, I think towards the front there should be other numbers that look something like this 1589-245-166 If you can find them they will confirm the year of the engine. The 3rd and 4th digits will be the year, in the example they are 89.

Keep in mind that many engines are made the prior year of the model year. In other words it might be 1588. That would still be a model year 1989. This number is the actual manufacture date. If you can find the number and post it here I can tell you what day your engine was assembled.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.