V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride a 2000fxr4 with a 80" evolution,upon restarting bike after a short 6 mile ride,heard noise and immediately shut off and thought what was that? fired briefly once more just to confirm if noise was coming from engine,and it was shut off and trailered home.Drained engine oil,no metal that I could see.Removed timesaver pushrods and cam nose cone to find front exhaust lifter roller bearing has gone bad,and some metal in cam chest cavity. Question? would be any benefit to pour oil through resevior,hopefully to flush out oil pump and an other related areas,also should the oil pump be removed and inspected....Any help in this matter would be Greatly Appreciated!!!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Since you have the camcover off, I would check to see if the return side of the pump is damaged.
Sounds as though you may have a spring coil bind problem from a cam change.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll refer to manual about return side of pump and spring coil bind. this is my first time in cam cavity any reason to be concerned about possible metal in the rest of engine or future problems there?Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
372 Posts
The metal from a lifter failure will stay in in the cam compartment and exit out the return side of the oil pump.
Take a good look at the condition of the breather gear pocket, that will indicate if metal is coming through from the crank case.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
L.Linkert,Thank you for the information on what to look for,saw metal below cam on floor of cam compartment,but didn't notice any in the breather gear pocket.This information helps ease mind in putting this thing back together....Many Thanks ted1857

·
Registered
4 Posts
seems to be a regular problem with evos

i had this problem as well, (if by "lifter" you actually mean the "tappet") but apparently i rode it for a lot longer after failure. this destroyed the cam lobes, sent a lot of metal all through the gears and bounced them up into the cylinders. you may want to do a leak down test, which is pretty easy and cheap to do.

i have a general question for everybody regarding what i found about evos and pushrod engines in general. this begins with the observation about valves that all IC engines will experience regular valve wear which necessitates some kind of adjustment, either in the length of the pushrod where pushrods are used, or in the space between the tappet and the pushrod, or between the tappet and the valve. Most engines with solid links (ie, without hydraulic valves) use either replaceable shims or an adjustable screw to tighten or loosen the connections so as to prevent valve train chatter.

the evo has none of these. the rocker arms are solid armatures set on an unadjustable axle. the pushrod is a solid piece and the tappet sits way down inside its sleeve with no adjustment possible.

how then are the valves adjusted for normal wear for an evo? since it seems pretty clear that lack of adjustment destroyed my engine and probably did the number on the guy who started this post.

·
Registered
487 Posts
being a hydrolic lifter with .200 of travel in its assembly on a stock motor its not ness when was the last time you adjusted the lifters in your american V8 car???

Reactions: 19FLHS92

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sounds like you did the right thing and shut off the engine right away. This shoud have prevented the majority of the metal filings and other nasty bits of metal from going thru the engine. The nice thing about the EVO engine, is that the oil is filtered on its' way back to the tank.
What I would do, is to spray the inside of the cam compartment and the cam cover with brake cleaner or electro solvent and then while you have the cam out, replace the bearing with a decent quality aftermarket roller unit. This would also be a great time to change cams, if you want to gofor some performance gains. Be sure to lube everything with white moly engine assembly lube when you reasseble too.
Take care!
Cheerz

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
i ran my fatboy 5000 kilometers after finding metal in the oil filter i cut open. i finally pulled it down after putting a stethascope on it and found the bearings in the roller tappet on the front exhaust had disintegrated. cleaned out the cam chest, guess i was lucky. the bike had continued to run beautifully with a barely discernable noise, hence the 'scope

·
Registered
372 Posts
Many times a performance cam change can lead to lifter failure.
Often the term 'drop in cam", may or may not be true in all cases.
In my shop now is an EVO engine with a custom cam of just .500" lift, it would have been most likely fine except extra long valve springs were installed that coil bound to the point of lifting the rocker boxes up and causing oil leaking on the rocker boxes and past problems with head and base gasket failure.
Needless to say the lifters were trashed and metal from them ripped up the return side of the oil pump.
The heads four bolts that hold the rockers in place damage the holes, they needed thread repair inserts. Also the valves and guides were damage from this condition.
Spring spacing is extreemly important.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It Ain't the End of the World

.....although it might seem that way at the time. Prior owner of my '86 FXR never did maintenance - didn't find a loose pushrod until the noise started. Replaced cam (stock), H-D hydraulic lifters (heavy duty, not Harley Davidson) adj. push rods, cam bearing & bushings.............

Cleaned the nose cone and checked the breather gear; adjusted the rocker arms to specs -and- it has run quiet ever since................

Check and adjust the pushrods every season and it might reveal a bad lifter.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts