V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any opinions on the Evolution eng. ?

The years in production, any better or more desirable than others, etc. ?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
1998-99 I would say as H-D always makes inprovements to there motors, by reason of the last years they where made. The evo is such a good motor everybody copies it. Of course S&S / Dacron and others make stronger cases but its still the evo basic design.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have heard that 96 is a good year. But i can't remember why.(i am drain bead)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Later models makes sense, in general, (of course sometimes its just the opposite, as they try to cut costs ?)

Hmmm
the SS issue brings up another question, is it a better eng. overall ?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
S&S makes some good stuff. Since there evo style case is stronger than production H-D cases (less the TC) I would think there motors are better over all (compaired to Evo's).

·
Registered
56 Posts
best years for EVO's

If your talking about a totally stock motor than it would have to be from 97 on. This was the year the lifter design was changed to the better style, also I believe this is when the base gaskets were changed to a better type but they still leaked. The later EVO's (early 90's) had an accelerater pump on the CV carb as compared to the early 80's with no pump. They also had a better ignition on the later ones, (better advance curves).

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sooooo your goin to buy or build a used (not to old) bike.

what do you opt for;

Evo H-D (best year) ?

Evo SS or or other ?

TC H-D (best year) ?

TC (not sure if these are made by others) ?

·
Registered
354 Posts
H-D TC88 Touring class bike, prefer 2002 because of the chassis improvements. Also there have been some upgrades to motor components but you'll have to ask a real wrench about that. Also the 2002 models have new EFI that is compatible with the HD Race Tuner.

If I was buying, my current choices would be:

#1 Road Glide
#2 Electra Glide Classic
#3 Road King standard

I'm 32 years old. I like to ride fast and long, therefore I like a fairing. I like having a radio. I wish I had cruise control on my '98 FLHTC. I like my bike with as little excess stuff on it as possible (easier to clean, and less weight=faster):D

·
Registered
312 Posts
it really depends on what youa re going to do with the motor.

Stock evo to a stock TC88, the TC88 is better all around. But if you were going to build a monster motor I would go with a evo (ss113 or Merch131). If I was just going to buy a used HD a TC88 would be first choice if money was no object, but you can get some older evo bikes for a damn good price. I would even buy an old shovel, but most people ask too much for them IMHO. It all just depends on what you got($) and what you want.

Another good thing about evos and shovels are that any shop can work on them, or just about anyone w/tools,time and a book can too. But a TC88 you may end up with a dealer only type problem. Plus most of the problems with them are known and solutions already discovered. As with anything new the TC is not that way.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now the dilema, seems the TC wins out, however I prefer the looks of the Evo, just don't like that trani case/bracket on the right side, makes the lower end optically larger looking.

Ahhhhh the shovelheads.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Gus said:
Sooooo your goin to buy or build a used (not to old) bike.

what do you opt for;

Evo H-D (best year) ?

Evo SS or or other ?

TC H-D (best year) ?

TC (not sure if these are made by others) ?

I have a "S&S" on my INDIAN,....N compared to my 1988 E/glide, There is NO comparison, S&S, Hands down!!! RUNS LIKE A "RAPED APE"!!!!!
hav'nt rode my 03 enough to form an opinion........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts