V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just got a '92 evo&not real sure how long to warm it up.I've heard they're cold-natured...

·
In disguise
2,727 Posts
From a cold start, set the idle with the cruise control star wheel at about 1500 RPM, and take the choke off (if you pulled it out) as soon as you can. Let the motor run until the rear rocker box cover is hot enough to be uncomfortable against your bare fingers. You don't need to burn your skin, just hot enough so that you don't want to touch the rocker box anymore.

I think this takes about 5 minutes but it depends on how cold the weather is.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Warm Up

We don't want to see any engine spooled out until at least 8-10 miles into a ride.
That way all the wheel bearings, chains, belts, pistons, heads, intake manifold, fluids, tires, transmission,and engine cases, etc,etc,etc, have all come to "operating temperature".

·
2008 Ultra
318 Posts
billzbubba said:
I've just got a '92 evo&not real sure how long to warm it up.I've heard they're cold-natured...
My rule of thumb .... start your bike, light up a cigarette and when you're done with the cigarette (7-10 minutes) you're ready to go.

Also do the hand on the rear cylinder thingy just in case.

That goes with any of my bikes .... 99 twin cam, 94 sporty, 93 evo and 81 shovel.

·
2008 Ultra
318 Posts
FXR2 said:
From a cold start, set the idle with the cruise control star wheel at about 1500 RPM, and take the choke off (if you pulled it out) as soon as you can. .
I also recommend this approach .... try not to warm it up with the choke pulled out.

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
The exact "procedure" for using the "enrichener" is right there in the manual and it is nothing like the advice given so far. There is a reason why the engineers want more fuel to the cylnders for the first few minutes of a ride. Yes, your plugs will foul if you use the enrichener "by the book" all the time.

Having said that, here is how I start my 1995 Wideglide (EVO).
-Regardless of outside temp I pull the "choke" (enrichener knob) all the way out. -Give the throttle a couple of good twists, hold about 1/4 throttle and start the bike.
-Enrichener will now keep the bike running without any throttle.
-Let it idle with knob full out for about 30 seconds.
-Push the choke in and then use the throttle to keep it running.
-Be patient in cold weather..below 50 degrees..sit there and idle for 3 or 4 minutes and let the motor actually warm up some.
-Go ahead and take off but take her easy for a few miles just like Hillside said.
-As has been said in here......."Never ask your lady to sing loud until her throat is properly warmed up". The EVO motor is an alloy sandwich and all those metals and other materials heat up and expand at different speeds.
-NEVER, EVER, take your bike out and let it rip if it's not up to full operating temp. Nothing may happen, but then again.......

Adjust as needed for very cold weather and of course for after you have been riding. You usually won't need to use the choke again the same day unless you let her sit until she cools all the way down.

Yes, I agree, EVOs are cold natured (at least mine is)...but they run like a clock when properly tuned with a good combo of carb, cam, breather, and pipes. Enjoy that bike...it will take you anywhere you want to go if you take care of it.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
I live on over 5 miles of dirt road. I have never had a problem with any of my Evos in over 100k on each. I start the bike and ride immediately after putting on my helmet and leather. I just ride gently until I reach the pavement. I don't let her sit and idle for more then a couple of minutes. The ride down the dirt is at or under 20mph.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
steveusmc said:
The exact "procedure" for using the "enrichener" is right there in the manual and it is nothing like the advice given so far. There is a reason why the engineers want more fuel to the cylnders for the first few minutes of a ride. Yes, your plugs will foul if you use the enrichener "by the book" all the time.

Having said that, here is how I start my 1995 Wideglide (EVO).
-Regardless of outside temp I pull the "choke" (enrichener knob) all the way out. -Give the throttle a couple of good twists, hold about 1/4 throttle and start the bike.
-Enrichener will now keep the bike running without any throttle.
-Let it idle with knob full out for about 30 seconds.
-Push the choke in and then use the throttle to keep it running.
-Be patient in cold weather..below 50 degrees..sit there and idle for 3 or 4 minutes and let the motor actually warm up some.
-Go ahead and take off but take her easy for a few miles just like Hillside said.
-As has been said in here......."Never ask your lady to sing loud until her throat is properly warmed up". The EVO motor is an alloy sandwich and all those metals and other materials heat up and expand at different speeds.
-NEVER, EVER, take your bike out and let it rip if it's not up to full operating temp. Nothing may happen, but then again.......

Adjust as needed for very cold weather and of course for after you have been riding. You usually won't need to use the choke again the same day unless you let her sit until she cools all the way down.

Yes, I agree, EVOs are cold natured (at least mine is)...but they run like a clock when properly tuned with a good combo of carb, cam, breather, and pipes. Enjoy that bike...it will take you anywhere you want to go if you take care of it.
i agree i tink this is good advise and i have a 92 evo graet ride ill dye with this bike its the best iv ever owned

·
Registered
49 Posts
You can cure some of the cold naturedness by richening up the Idle circuit in the carb. Most bike are jetted lean For EPA . If it is a stock bike with an unmodified carb you can take the plug out of the idle mixture screw hole and attempt to adjust it this way which eveyone should do. If it is still lean you can go up on the pilot jet 1 size which will improve startibility and rideability

·
Registered
80 Posts
I start my 86 by pulling the choke out full, a quick 2 twists on the throttle and a shot to the starter. I let the motor idle for a couple of minutes then push in the choke until the motor starts to idle down to the point that it sounds like it's going to stall. I have found that any more time on the choke leads to spark plug fouling. I have also used the star throttle lock to set the idle but again just enough to keep it from stalling for real cold weather warming. As Hillside and others have stated this is the secret to gasket longetivity.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
On my 92 EVO with S&S carb I open the enrichener all the way and fire it off with the fuel petcock in the closed position. It will fast idle there for about 5 seconds before things smooth out. Then I push the enrichener all the way in, usually adjusting the throttle and locking the star wheel at a fairly fast idle if it is cold enough for it to not want to idle on it's own. By the time it runs out of gas in the fuel bowl and line, the rocker box is warm to the touch. Turn the fuel back on, restart, roll it out of the shop, walk back in and close the door, climb on and ride, still taking it easy for a few miles before "gutting it out". Base gaskets are a PITA.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I think 'evo warm-up' has been covered very well.. There are other threads also about this same topic..

However, use of the enrichener can vary greatly if carb is stock, or if it has been tweaked & idle-mix richened..

There-in lies the "gotta get a feel" for the carb & motor..

EVO = Good !!!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
I turn on the gas, give a couple of shots on the throtle, turn on the choke on full on the S&S E, and fire it up. If it don't fire immediately of which 90% of the time it does. I let it set for 30 seconds and then press the start button again, and this time it always does. I leave the choke on for a bit(full) 30-45 seconds or so, and get on the bike, turn the choke off, and maintain the throtle so it doesn't die, ane then take off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts