V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,730 Posts
The Evos were about 60hp at the motor and 40-45ish hp at the rear wheel.

The 103 were about 100 pounds/foot of torque at the motor and 60hp at the rear wheel

Stock baggers, the Evo gets left in the dust. Those Evo baggers were working pretty hard at 70. The 103 baggers are just cruising at that speed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It really depends upon what spark plug wires you run......
The 2013 TC engine is 15-20 HP/torque more powerful than the Evo, stock, and responds just as well as if not better when modified to gain more HP/torque. As well as having a larger displacement, it also has a larger engine. (80 vs 96, 103, 110)
There is more strength in the cases, especially in the cylinder studs and the casting where the inner cam bearings are located, where cracks occur in the Evo. As a result of a better designed rockerbox, with fewer parts, the TC has less rockerbox leaks than the Evo.
Harley Davidson Evo VS Twin Cam – What’s Actually Better?

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
The 2013 TC engine is 15-20 HP/torque more powerful than the Evo, stock, and responds just as well as if not better when modified to gain more HP/torque. As well as having a larger displacement, it also has a larger engine. (80 vs 96, 103, 110)
There is more strength in the cases, especially in the cylinder studs and the casting where the inner cam bearings are located, where cracks occur in the Evo. As a result of a better designed rockerbox, with fewer parts, the TC has less rockerbox leaks than the Evo.
EDIT

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Harley Davidson Evo VS Twin Cam – What’s Actually Better?
Do you know anything about the EVO engine or Twin Cam engine, or do you just know how to cut and paste?

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,757 Posts
Do you know anything about the EVO engine or Twin Cam engine, or do you just know how to cut and paste?
Hmmm, he doesn't even seem to be very good at that, at least not picking good info to copy.

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,757 Posts
Huge tuning advantage in a ‘13 fuel injected Twin cam over a carb Evo of the same size
Why can't the EVO have EFI? Mine does. I'm not arguing that the '13 wouldn't have an advantage, as I think my '11 EFI TC has a tuning advantage as well as 23 cubic inches over my '97 EFI Evo. I think it would be nice to have some elaboration of the original question.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Another thing to consider would be overall gear ratio of each bike.
My 1987 FXRS in 5th gear at 3000RPM’s was around 60MPH, whereas my 2004 FLHTi at 3200RPM’s is at 80MPH. Transmission gear ratios are very similar, so you’d need to match sprocket ratios with your later model TC, and I’m not sure how the EVO would handle it in 1st gear starting on a hill…🤔

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Why can't the EVO have EFI? Mine does. I'm not arguing that the '13 wouldn't have an advantage, as I think my '11 EFI TC has a tuning advantage as well as 23 cubic inches over my '97 EFI Evo. I think it would be nice to have some elaboration of the original question.
True, I guess its just assumed Evos are carbureted, right or wrong, its usually the case, and if EFI is MM then there still is a very clear advantage in tuning with the new EFI systems. Still not a very comparable scenario, like a 1975 Chevy 350 SB compared to a LS1. Both still Chevy 350 C.I. motors but out of the box they really don't seem comparable

·
Super Moderator
22,730 Posts
True, I guess its just assumed Evos are carbureted, right or wrong, its usually the case, and if EFI is MM then there still is a very clear advantage in tuning with the new EFI systems. Still not a very comparable scenario, like a 1975 Chevy 350 SB compared to a LS1. Both still Chevy 350 C.I. motors but out of the box they really don't seem comparable
First, Harley Vtwins are not Chevy's. Second, the small block and the LS/LT series engines have nothing in common except size and manufacturer.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Performance wise I'd say the question was answered. My father always claimed the evo is Harleys best motor and I tend to agree, although it lacks the power of anything built later.

·
In disguise
2,951 Posts
Just thinking. About the old versus new Chevy 350 comparison. Would a new, current issue S&S Evo be similarly evolved for the better over a HD Evo? So that comparing a current issue 124 evo snd a current issue 124 TC would be more about the different camshaft setup on the same displacement than old versus new technology?

And then to really muddy up the water,how does the current M8 design compare with Evo’s and TC’s for power potential, given the same or similar displacement?

·
Registered
18,065 Posts
Second, the small block and the LS/LT series engines have nothing in common except size and manufacturer.
And the LTs have the distributor in the worst possible location.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ugghh.. optispark...I used to think it was really cool that gm kept the same motor since the 50s. Now that I'm all growed up, I realize they should have started the ls at least a decade sooner.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts