V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering an evo electra glide in good condition.It isn't licensed so I can't test it. How does its top highway cruising speed compare with the TC 88 or 96 ? What about its performance around town? Your experience of the bike's changes would be appreciated. BTW the seller says it was hit by a car and forks have been completely replaced at an HD dealer through insurance. Would this concern you for smooth highway riding. Seller says there is resistance from the wind at about 75 mph and attributes this to the standard windshield and fairing. Thanks for any advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
371 Posts
me personally,and just my opinion. i prefer the evo above the new motors. the new motors are great. smooth and lots of power. but the evo appears to be almost bulletproof. i have several friends and also my bike, that at 100,000 miles have torn their evos down and just needed new rings and hone the cylinders. i have friends still rolling with over 100k and no top ends yet. i also have several friends with well maintained twin cams that have had to go into the motor at 50k to replace the cam tensioners and such. i like the fact that my evo can be easily worked on if needed. if my 98 rk were to have to be relpaced today i would look for the same bike. i'm sure that the new bikes are awesome and i'm not taking anything away from you all that have them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Head: I understand the quality of the evo engine and why you would like it so much. It is relatively low tech and that is what attracts me to it. How are its capacities for speed and acceleration? What speeds can you cruise in the engines comfort zone? Thanks for your info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,064 Posts
The evos can be built to perform very well, if you want to go with aftermarket cases, that engine will fly. There is a reason that most custom bike builders use the EVO platform
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,044 Posts
Well I've owned both Evo and TC E-Glides and the TC is the way to go in a heavy big bike IMHO.
I'd run away screaming from a bike that has been hit by a car,no thanks!
The Evo was a great motor but the difference in the TC is huge in the heavy bikes and if you have the gear drive cam conversion done you can forget worrying about the cam chain shoes.
My Evo bagger was working pretty hard at 100 mph and about tapped out but my TC will cruise at 100mph with power to spare,in fact now that I have cams,head work,different ignition and a 95" motor I can hit over 100mph in 4th gear.
I've passed 130,000 miles on my 2000 EG Classic and still love'n it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
371 Posts
fender-i wouldnt be the best judge of the high speed comfort zone i wouldnt guess. i have ridden 85 comfortably but i usually do about 5 over the speed limit. the guy i rode 85 with got killed on his doing that as interstate traffic came to a sudden halta few years ago.
my road king has outrun twin cams but mine has had a cam change and the tc was stock.
as far as the wrecked bike concerns. all depends on the price you are getting the bike for and if you are comfortable with it and its repairs.if its a salvage titled bike that would be a major consideration as well.
 

·
Twist it, pop it, burn it
Joined
·
161 Posts
Y2K said:
Well I've owned both Evo and TC E-Glides and the TC is the way to go in a heavy big bike IMHO.
I'd run away screaming from a bike that has been hit by a car,no thanks!
The Evo was a great motor but the difference in the TC is huge in the heavy bikes and if you have the gear drive cam conversion done you can forget worrying about the cam chain shoes.
My Evo bagger was working pretty hard at 100 mph and about tapped out but my TC will cruise at 100mph with power to spare,in fact now that I have cams,head work,different ignition and a 95" motor I can hit over 100mph in 4th gear.
I've passed 130,000 miles on my 2000 EG Classic and still love'n it.

Agree there completely though I cant speak to the twin cams since I dont own one, but have ridden them. MY WG will easily cruise at 100 although Im generally a 75 mph or so guy.
Y2K is correct about the bike in an accident, my advice is to stay away, to me its not worth the potential for other problems.

Good Luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gentlemen thanks. I'm gonna let it go. I'll look for an 88. There are a lot of changes besides the engine that make the newer bikes compelling - better brakes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,044 Posts
fender1951 said:
Gentlemen thanks. I'm gonna let it go. I'll look for an 88. There are a lot of changes besides the engine that make the newer bikes compelling - better brakes.
Keep an eye out for an '02,they upgraded the swingarm with a bigger axle that year .
It will also have the sealed wheel bearings, an upgrade that came in '00 but '02's have the bigger axle and it will have the 4 piston brakes, another upgrade that came in '00.
'02 was the last year for the stronger Timken bearing crankshaft so it's a great engine to build on.
 

·
Iron Butt, SS2000
Joined
·
3,399 Posts
Am I Confused Again?

Y2K said:
Keep an eye out for an '02,they upgraded the swingarm with a bigger axle that year .
It will also have the sealed wheel bearings, an upgrade that came in '00 but '02's have the bigger axle and it will have the 4 piston brakes, another upgrade that came in '00.
'02 was the last year for the stronger Timken bearing crankshaft so it's a great engine to build on.
10-4 on the Timken's last year. I've heard that is no big deal if you leave it stock. Just make sure the compensator nut is tight.

Now, correct me if I am wrong but is not 2004 the first year they went to a bigger swingarm & rear axle?:sofa:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Fender, I too will stay far from an hitted bike, and a bagger is so havvy that can make harm to imself just falling.

That sayd, I was too well inclined few times ago, to "upgrade" from my '03 FXDX to a 1340 dyna. Mostly cause of the massive presence of electronics. I was scared also about the infamous roller-timken question, buth then I have done some paper work, and spoke with some mechs and experts: the situation does not appears so cathastrofic ad there is no such an evidence in failre's numbers. Other thing are the tensioner padds: but I had jet cured that with a gear drive trasnplant.
Then I definetely considered that I would probably regret the "confortable power" that the TC88 can exprime, aand that I dont find neither in my BMW beamer.
Mine Dyna has now 40 k miles, runs much better than when it was new (Andrew 26, Doherty pack, N72s in the carb, bored mufflers). I could reach Biker Fest in Austria from Rome (Italy) just in one day, two up, bagages, and not a miles on dane an the higway.
Hope it will last a long time becasue I whill not go (ok, never say never) for a injected model. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,044 Posts
jerry34208 said:
10-4 on the Timken's last year. I've heard that is no big deal if you leave it stock. Just make sure the compensator nut is tight.

Now, correct me if I am wrong but is not 2004 the first year they went to a bigger swingarm & rear axle?:sofa:
They got the bigger axle in '02,might have changed the swingarm again in '04 I don't know but the bigger axle for sure in '02 so it's a different swingarm and wheel than earlier models.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top