V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at 35k miles and valve train noise is starting to concern me. I've read lotsa posts that new tappets may or may not solve noise problems. But I'm also aware that a tappet roller bearing failure could trash the whole engine. The engine has a EV27 cam (installed at 13k), Torrington cam bearings and stock pushrods. Lotsa questions so feel free to respond to any:

1. Should I get Jim's, S&S or other tappets? Pros, cons?
  2. If Jim's, is the "big roller" style the way to go?
  3. Recommendations for mail order outfit with best prices?
  4. Does the gear cover (nose cone) have to be removed to get the tappets out?
  5. Do the tappet blocks have to be removed or can I "fish" the tappets out?
  6. Is the tappet alignment tool really necessary?
  7. What are the specs for rocker arm endplay? I can't find anything about it in my service manual but I believe it is adjustable via shims.
    [/list=1]

Thanks to all who reply!

·
Registered
56 Posts
lifters

What year EVO, they were changed in 97 to the better style, anything before that should be replaced, it's your choice, Harley's lifters with new part # or Jims big axle. That EV-27 cam is a good cam, that cam does make more noise than some other cams, it's caused from the fast ramp profile, if your motor just started making the noise, could be those lifters, I have heard that they should be replaced every 30,000 / 40,000 miles. You don't need to pull the nose cone just the lifter blocks and they need to be aligned with a tool.
http://www.wallyscycleworld.com/virtualshop/vsquery_new.asp?PVTID=5&PVSID=521

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Roadhog. The bike is a '95. I had valve train noise prior to the EV27 but has gotten worse, especially the last 2k miles or so. Thats a great price on the lifters from Wallys. Thanks dude!

·
Registered
56 Posts
lifters

I hope that they are the cause of the noise, either way they should be replaced ASP, they are like a bomb waiting to go off. Harley never had a recal like they should have.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts