I'm at 35k miles and valve train noise is starting to concern me. I've read lotsa posts that new tappets may or may not solve noise problems. But I'm also aware that a tappet roller bearing failure could trash the whole engine. The engine has a EV27 cam (installed at 13k), Torrington cam bearings and stock pushrods. Lotsa questions so feel free to respond to any:
- Should I get Jim's, S&S or other tappets? Pros, cons?
- If Jim's, is the "big roller" style the way to go?
- Recommendations for mail order outfit with best prices?
- Does the gear cover (nose cone) have to be removed to get the tappets out?
- Do the tappet blocks have to be removed or can I "fish" the tappets out?
- Is the tappet alignment tool really necessary?
- What are the specs for rocker arm endplay? I can't find anything about it in my service manual but I believe it is adjustable via shims.
Thanks to all who reply!