V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what the life expectancy is for a stock cam bearing. H-D claims that they work fine with H-D cams (SE) as they have the required hard surface to run on.

Thanks,

Keep

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The OEM inner cam bearing on the EVO's has always been somewhat suspect, in particular when using anything other then stock cams.

It is common practice to replace them with a Torrington full complement bearing the first time the cam chest is opened.

The TC's use the same bearing, but there are two of them in effect halving the load on each.

If you consider the catastrophic consecuences of a failure replacing them at 30K or so is very cheap insurance. Do not attempt to replace this bearing without the proper special tool, one little slip and you will be splitting the cases.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The reason harley uses this bearing is that the caged version with the smaller number of rollers is much more tolerant of misalignment then the full complement one.
Once you use a cam with a steeper ramp or more lift the load carrying capacity becomes much more critical then possible misalignment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm thinking about a cam change. Is the OEM bearing suspect on all EVO's? I have a 98 superglide. Could you give me a URL on the Torrington bearings.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Torrington cam bearing

A must do, especially if you change a cam, and don't forget to change the lifters if it's a 96 and earlier, 97 was changed to new style. These stock bearings and lifters have been known to fail in stock and modified motors, rember on an EVO the oil goes through the oil pump, motor, and then through the flilter before returning to the tank, get the picture.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hdcaminstall04.htm

http://www.torrington.com/

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ok, you guys have really got me concerned, I have a 94 Fatboy, it has 35 miles on it. I modified it when it was brand new. Heads flowed, S+S carb and manifold, Rev. Tech Cam and pipes, adjustable push rods, Excel ignition. The thing runs beautifully but has tappet noise at idle. Doesn't use a drop of oil. Compression check is 125 lbs. on both cylinders.
I don't recall if I changed the Stock Cam bearing or lifters, but chances are I didn't or I think I would recall it. (Getting Old)

My question is; Am I living on borrowed time in regard to the Cam bearings? Would you recommend replaceing, immediately? If so should I replace bearings, lifters, cam, and pushrods as they all have worn together? I would rather be safe than sorry and have lots of winter time to kill.
Thanks

·
Registered
477 Posts
If it has the crappy every other needle missing inner bearing, and factor in 35,000 miles and an aftermarket cam(increased lift, duration), your living dangerously Skinny Girl. HD blew it when they started using that piece of crap bearing, versus a full roller count torrington.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts