V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded a 91 Wing for a 1996 Ultra-Classic.I noticed that when
I first start the bike it backfires through the carb.Is this normal on a
cold engine? (It was just through the 20,000 Mile Check up)
Thanks
Ride Safe
masher
*Don't know alot about the evo engine, any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Evo Question reply

Do you honestly think it's normal? No it should not backfire through the carb, sounds like the carb is not adjusted properly.

·
Registered
56 Posts
carb backfiring

Do you have this problem right after you start it and when you try to ride off it pops thru the carb. You must let the engine warm up some first, usually when the jugs are warm to the touch is ok. Also it helps to keep the enrichner (choke) very slightly pulled out till the motor is at full temp, this will make the engine idle a little faster till you push it in all the way. If you do not do this, then yes it will pop thru the carb when cold. And another thing, incase nobody told you, it's very important to let the motor warm up first or keep the RPM's under 2000 till it does or the base gaskets will prematurly leak, in other words they all leak eventually. The steel cylinder/head bolts thermal expandsion rate are different than the aluminum cyclinders so untill the motor is up to full temperature the torque value is not correct and leaking base gaskets is the end result.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Masher,

Welcome to the forum. Been there done that with a wing. Now, you are instore for one more motoring experience with the Ultra.

All carb H-D's that I have been exposed to burp, cough, gag and snort at times when they are first started, guess this is just the beast in them. Backfiring through the carb is a little unusual, may need to preform a little surgery (minor that is, just kidding) to correct problem. A search through past threads should provide you with the information that you need.

Broken Spoke

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses.I must not be letting it warm up enough as
I guess I'm too impatient & want to get going.But, I will certainly
try to let her warm up more before blast off !
I do like the feel of that bike and get a kick out of my wooden floor
shaking in my barn.
There is just something about that rumble..
Thanks
Ride Safe
Masher

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update as to my question on the evo warm up.I've followed the advice here from you guys & can report that the Ultra is doing fine.
Thats what I like about this forum,good advice.
Thanks again
Ride Safe
masher

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fuel Switch

Another question.
Is it a good idea to turn the fuel switch on or off when not riding?
I've heard different opinions over the years and was wondering
what you guys thought.
Ride Safe
masher:cool:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks 95FXST

I'll probably be asking alot more questions about the Ultra I picked up.

Thats what I like about motorcycles,always something to learn.:)

Ride Safe

·
Banned
999 Posts
Masher, if its got the stock carb and stock jetting they are on the lean side.

common fix is to remove the seal plug on idle mixture screw so mixture screw can be adjusted and go up one size on the slow jet.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice sidekick & oh by the way,,,Could you bottle up some of the sun down there and ship it up !!! Its supposed to be 8 degrees
tonight here in the Pittsburgh area (YUK)
I hate winter !!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts