V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:hmmm:
As you may have seen from my previous post about stripped threads in my oil pan.
Seeing as I’ll have the bike stored for the winter. I ‘ve decided to pull the oil pan and use a Heli-Coil for the fix. The question I have is in the service manual it says in step four of removal of oil pan only.
4: If contact with frame cross member prevents oil pan removal, disconnect front engine mount and raise engine as follows : And then it give the steps for this procedure.

If I have the rear tire removed do I need to do this step 4 ????
Reason I ask is. It says if ?? And I will have the rear wheel removed for a new tire.

Also would any recommend doing the same to the transmission drain hole???
I hear the Heli Coils are stronger than original threads, which is not very strong.
What really is the best fix for this ????? ( A new oil pan ???)
1998 FLHRCI Road King Classic EVO
Thanks for your reply,
Sparky

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Forget the new oil pan. The fix is stronger then the original.

Would not bother witht he trani plug if it is not stripped but while you have it off it is up to you. It is not used as much and does not tend to get striped out as much.

As skipping step 4 I doubt having the tire off will help. Let me know though I have to do my pan this winter.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Do an online search for "keensert" or "timesert". I think either one would be a better solution than a helicoil in this application.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got done installing new pan. I did with the rear tire removed it was tight. I had the wifey guide one side while I did the other. Just make sure you use some gasket sealer just as the manual says and be real careful installing it. The trick is not to bugger up the gasket. There are new style drain plugs from the stock ones I had on the bike that came with the pan. There is a hex fitting inside of the bolt head to use a allen wrench to drain the oil and tranny fluids.
Thanks for all the replies……….
Sparky

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Sounds like it worked out well for you. Personally, I would have replaced the oil pan as well. IMHO, thats the correct way to resolve stripped drain plug threads.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
road_king said:
Sounds like it worked out well for you. Personally, I would have replaced the oil pan as well. IMHO, thats the correct way to resolve stripped drain plug threads.
Uh, I think that's what he said. Replaced the oil pan.

·
Registered
10 Posts
on my 98' FXDWG I've heli coiled the oil drain, et replaced bottem oil line but its leaking out of oilpan gasket site,dont have a manuel, do I have to remove the whole tranny to get the oil pan off?? a site for this would work to, I only have a HD manuel to a 71'flh and a 96 xlh and its my 1st dyna

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
I really hat to bring this up,,, but the dead walk among us, and the zombies have risen, again,,, lol. the thread is 13 years old..
are you going for a zombo thread record??
hey, just giving you a hard time,,

·
Registered
16,979 Posts
If not you, it would have been me.?

I'm just here for the beer.

·
Laughing Poseur
5,253 Posts
I really hat to bring this up,,, but the dead walk among us, and the zombies have risen, again,,, lol. the thread is 13 years old..
Give the guy a break he's only got another 6 threads going asking the same thing. :roflback:

·
Registered
10 Posts
gotcha, but this is my 1st time I'm a forum virgin n 6 times in a day for the first time -probly pretty good cause had to ask everywhere to get a answered. so how do I find the 6 posts from earlyier?

·
Registered
988 Posts
gotcha, but this is my 1st time I'm a forum virgin n 6 times in a day for the first time -probly pretty good cause had to ask everywhere to get a answered. so how do I find the 6 posts from earlyier?
Don't take it personal, If you had started a new topic you would have been chastised for not searching old threads. :dunno:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well you have to pull the tranny if you want to get a evo pan off,guess this is why I've never had a dyna befor. And I also need the rear rubber frame tranny mount. This was a good day teardown wait for the parts and wash everything then a day to put it all back together. Well except I'm bout half cripp[ed took me 2 1/2 days tearing it apart case a beer and bout 12 narcotic pain pills just to get it apart will order parts tonight get in bout 5 days then 3 or four days putting it back together by then the eagle will **** again and put Army tags on it and I will be up son. HA HA HA then you will not hear from me again till I;m broke down again LATER I'll repost as it goes

1 - 14 of 14 Posts