V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!

Just started posting to this group, and I've got a question about Evo gaskets sets. I'm in the process of replacing the base/head and rocker box gaskets on my '90 Evo. I've searched the postings for gaskets and so far have determined that James gaskets seem to be the prefered base gasket, but I'd like to find out about what is a good head/rocker box gasket? I have started looking through my J&P catalog and they have several "kits" which are supposed to have everything. I suspect if I buy James or another good brand I'll be OK? The number of "kits" they offer in J&P is overwealming and somewhat confusing. Anyone had any luck with J&P technical help?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I use the james metal gaskets at the head to rocker base and the rubber ones on the rocker box sections.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
wurkenman said:
I use the james metal gaskets at the head to rocker base and the rubber ones on the rocker box sections.
Me too. I just replace the gaskets between the rocker base and head and on my 1200S with only 15000 miles on it.. The factory paper gaskets had shriveled up and tore around the bolt. The rubber gaskets on the top two rocker plates I didn't change out. I removed the rocker plates very carefully and wiped down the rubber gaskets and resused. They haven't leaked yet so you may be able to save some monies but thats your call.

Here is a picture of the paper gasket. The moco could do a lot better than this.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Opps, didn't read close enough. Since yours is a 90, I would suggest change the rubber gaskets as they may be brittle by now. Mine are from a 99 and they were still in good shape.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been looking through the James gasket website and think I have found what I need. They offer "kits" but the description for these is a little thin. I'd like to go with the metal core / ribbed gaskets for the cylinder base and head, since they should hold up much better. I'll have to contact J&P or Jim's directly to find out what's in their kits. The biggets PITA on my '90 is that the engine has to come out of the frame to get the damn rocker boxes off!!! Seems like they could have given you a little more clearance at the fcatory to keep from having to do this. I think I can get the heads/jugs off if I could get the rocker boxes off in the frame. Unfortunately I have to take the motor out. Unless anyone has a trick to doing this?!?!?! Maybe I'll inquire about that....?

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
You could get one of these tools or you could do like I did and just take a allen head bit and cut it down with a dremmal (sp?) tool or grinder and use a small wrench to get the bolts out. The sportster is very close on the rear. The front was easy.

Here is a picture of the Sporty and as you can see it was like a puzzle getting them in and out. One piece came out on the right side and one came out on the left, but it was do-able without engine removal. Give it a try first before even trying to remove the engine.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Rammer, On my '94, I took the front motor mount and the top motor mounts out, the motor will drop down far enough in the front to let you get the boxes off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts