V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting set to install a mild cam in my EVO bagger & thought I had better ask here first to avoid problems later..

First?... Should I just use new Harley 18523-86B lifters or spend the big bucks for some Jims lifters? My red line is 5800 RPMs & no other engine work.

Next?... It looks like the new cam will need an additional spacer washer.. Do I need to use a single thick washer or can I just add another (appx .050") spacer & use the stock thrust washer? When the new cam comes in I will measure it & set end play to about .010"-.015" just asking on the best washer arrangement.

Is it best to use the original cam gear or is it OK to use the gear that comes with the new cam (as long as it measures close to the original using .108" pins)?

Is the stock plastic breather gear good or do I need a steel one?

I am installing a new Jims inner cam bearing..

Anything else I need to look for or look out for?

Thanks........JD

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Well first off you need to check cam end play, pinion , and breather gear end play. You can swap the cam gear and bypass the pinion check IF you are sure that the orignal one was correct and it was not making noise.

I am guessing that you do not have a manual by the questions. IF not get one and it will walk you through the correct procedure to get the job done correctly the first time.

Evo's are a bit more work than a TC for cam swap. And yes you will need a 50 thou shim, they where standard on the shovels so no big deal there , unless you go to a dealer they may not understand it as the HD cams have it on there as you are installing a after market cam. But tell them you need a shovel cam shim 50 thou and you will be good to go.

As for the breather gear I like the metal ones myself but there are many versions, I use the JIMS and they work ok make sure you get one for a non stroker motor as well. Good Luck

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
OHH I did forget the lifters, get your self a set of large axle type the stock ones have a issue with spitting the needles out. Other than that.

·
Banned
871 Posts
jdclooney said:
I am installing a new Jims inner cam bearing..

Anything else I need to look for or look out for?

Thanks........JD
I don't know the JIMS bearing... are they made by Torrington? I've always used the Torrington bearings. Haven't had one fail yet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well first off you need to check cam end play, pinion , and breather gear end play. You can swap the cam gear and bypass the pinion check IF you are sure that the orignal one was correct and it was not making noise
___Yes, I plan to check the cam end play when installing the new cam.. I was just seeking information on how to shim the cam (ie. use a shim washer PLUS the original thrust washer OR find a one piece shim/thrust washer.. I guess what I'm asking is: can I use 2 washers (one shim + one thrust?).
The original gear set was real quiet so do think I should just go ahead & press on the original gear or will I be OK if the new cam gear mikes out close using the .108" pins?

I am guessing that you do not have a manual by the questions. IF not get one and it will walk you through the correct procedure to get the job done correctly the first time.
___ I do have a factory manual but it doesn't cover adding that .050" extra shim that's why I am asking here.

Evo's are a bit more work than a TC for cam swap. And yes you will need a 50 thou shim, they where standard on the shovels so no big deal there , unless you go to a dealer they may not understand it as the HD cams have it on there as you are installing a after market cam. But tell them you need a shovel cam shim 50 thou and you will be good to go
__Thanks, that's what I needed to know as mother Harley doesn't list a cam shim for an EVO.

JD

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ToddM said:
I don't know the JIMS bearing... are they made by Torrington? I've always used the Torrington bearings. Haven't had one fail yet.
Yes, that Jims bearing is a torrington..
JD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts