V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 98 Road King with 22K last spring from local HD dealer. After running it for a couple months, noticed oil consumption was high, Something like a quart per 500 miles. Ran a compression check and both cylinders seemed normal. Replaced intake valve seals and that knocked the oil consumption down about a third. Anticipating a road trip this coming spring, I wanted to replace the lifters and cam bearing. Opened up the cam chest and found the breather gear missing three teeth which left it in the open position. No telling how long its been like this. I suspect this may be the oil consumption culprit. Anyway, I never noticed any problems with oil pressure in the 3K miles I've put on it since purchasing. Usually ran about 20 PSI on the highway and 10 PSI at idle except on a really hot day it would go down to 5 PSI. Never had any oil light flickering or coming on except with key on and motor not running. I plan to check for debris in the oil pump. Nothing found in the cam chest. My question is whether it is good enough to check the suction side of the oil pump or do all the oil lines need blowing out? I assume if the plastic bits got past the pump they got caught by the oil filter. Any advice would be appreciated.

BTW, I'll mention that the breather gear bore is smooth with no damage. The new metal gear turns smoothly with no slop. I don't see any obvious reason why the original plastic breather gear failed, but it did. Maybe a bad part. Who knows.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
missing teeth all in same spot or spread out...haw did that happen
All in the same spot. How it happened is anyone's guess. I did pull the oil pump and nothing was found in the cam chest suction passage going to the scavenge side of the pump. I have yet to find any plastic bits anywhere. I'm mystified. Given that this bike is 24 years years old, its anyone's guess when the breather gear failure actually occurred.

Maybe the bike sat for years and the breather was stuck and the teeth came off when it was started again.

·
Premium Member
2,334 Posts
Put a plastic bag over the lines when you blow them out, maybe catch the debris if there is any.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
126 Posts
Those plastic breather can deform and causes drag in the case and break the drive teeth. measure it and i think you will find it be out off round

1 - 12 of 12 Posts