V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trying to figure out the differances or lack of between transmissions in the dyna, fxr softail and the touring familys of motorcycle from the evo era. Is there any interchangablity ?? I am bigining a build with a used 88 evo out of my brothers E-Glide.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
I too would like to know some of this info. Stuff like... are the dyna and squishtail gear sets interchangable? What is the difference in the pre 99 and 00 up gearsets? Just a basic tranny 101 class would be great. :wootdnc:

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm with J.M. Bring on harley tranny 101

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
There are so many differences from models to years. Just to name a few...

L84-89 mainshafts have a tapper for the clutch basket and a keyway.
90-up had a splined shaft for the clutch basket.
80-86 had the "diamond" end cover and used a clutch arm.
87-up uses the clutch ramps.
FXR and early FLT share the same tranny cases.
The FLT/baggers incorperated the oil tank around 93.
The Dyna did the same and uses a different case as well.
The early FXR/FLT had adapter brackets to mount it to the engine.
Then there are different ratios ... then all that leads up to the Twin Cam transmission case changes that bolt directly to the engine cases. It goes on and on .... I would have to look in the book to determine specific differences from year to year and model to model.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been looking into to try and figure it out and I didn't realize how broad of am answer there would be.

I guess the better way to ask is to say " Are the EVO engines cases universal throughout the models. Is an EVO engine out of an FXR or touring able to replace a Dyna or a softail ???

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
Pretty much yes, but there would be other things to consider. Different years have advantages and disadvantages. 1990-91 have a problem with castings around the left side case race. 92 or 93 to 99 have a thinner wall at one of the spigot holes making a 96" big bore not a viable option. There are a few years that have a problem with the rear engine mount cracking because they used a 90 degree machined corner rather than a radiused corner. Also the breathing changed in 92-93 to head breathers. 92 I think had head breathing heads but not the gear case or the breather valves in the heads. Just to name a few of the differences.

But yes the engines will pretty much bolt in to any chassis.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any know typical issues with my 88 model.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
RIDETOEAT said:
Any know typical issues with my 88 model.

I don't know whether your 1988 model had the straight side-draft (non-CV) carburetor or not. If it does, then that was sure an issue.

Some people have done a change to the CV40, although I have heard that there is a problem with clearance under the right fuel tank for the top of the CV carburetor in models that had the original Keihin.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
newultraclassic said:
I don't know whether your 1988 model had the straight side-draft (non-CV) carburetor or not. ...
I believe it did. My 89 FXSTS had that carb on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What YEARS do the DYNA 5-Speed Transmission CASES interchange ?

I'm curious as to how l o n g the H-D DYNA 5-Speed Transmission CASES remained the same ...

I have a 1995 DYNA Convertible with a 5-Speed and am SHOPPING for a REPLACEMENT transmission ... and want to KNOW what YEARS of Transmissions will BOLT in ?

I'm assuming that "ANY" EVO era DYNA transmission "should" FIT (but don't KNOW)

There is a SELLER on eBAY that insists that his 2001 (Twin-Cam) DYNA Transmission will fit my 1995 EVO DYNA ?

Is he "right" ? CORRECT ? Do the TC (Twin-Cam) Trannies remain the same as the Mid-1990's EVO Trannies (at least EXTERNALLY) ?

Please advise (I don't want to PURCHASE & Pay for transportation & then NOT have it FIT)

Thanks in Advance

Coop

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

·
Super Moderator
20,902 Posts

Then there are different ratios ... then all that leads up to the Twin Cam transmission case changes that bolt directly to the engine cases. It goes on and on .... I would have to look in the book to determine specific differences from year to year and model to model.
To add to the list above:

The early 5 speeds use a different 5th gear. And the mainshaft seal and spacer went through a few evolutions.

·
Super Moderator
20,902 Posts
I have been looking into to try and figure it out and I didn't realize how broad of am answer there would be.

I guess the better way to ask is to say " Are the EVO engines cases universal throughout the models. Is an EVO engine out of an FXR or touring able to replace a Dyna or a softail ???
Any evo will bolt in place of another evo.

There are a lot of issues with cases cracking and bearing races coming loose. But with that said, if it hasn't already happened in the 15 to 30 years since it was built, it's prolly not going to now. The cam bearing is prolly the biggest case killer out there, so be sure to check that.

·
Super Moderator
20,902 Posts
I'm curious as to how l o n g the H-D DYNA 5-Speed Transmission CASES remained the same ...

I have a 1995 DYNA Convertible with a 5-Speed and am SHOPPING for a REPLACEMENT transmission ... and want to KNOW what YEARS of Transmissions will BOLT in ?

I'm assuming that "ANY" EVO era DYNA transmission "should" FIT (but don't KNOW)

There is a SELLER on eBAY that insists that his 2001 (Twin-Cam) DYNA Transmission will fit my 1995 EVO DYNA ?

Is he "right" ? CORRECT ? Do the TC (Twin-Cam) Trannies remain the same as the Mid-1990's EVO Trannies (at least EXTERNALLY) ?

Please advise (I don't want to PURCHASE & Pay for transportation & then NOT have it FIT)

Thanks in Advance

Coop

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
My interchange says 95 to 98 will fit.

The 2001 case will not bolt into your 95. But, the internals will fit your case.

·
Registered
9,225 Posts
As thermodyne said the internals will fit. actually the internals will fit from 1980 through 1999, but the clutch and other parts often need to be changed to the year of the main shaft and 5th gear output shaft. And 87 down and 87 up clutch release components.

·
Registered
1 Posts

How do you upgrade the trap door setup and clutch cable for an 86

·
Super Moderator
20,902 Posts
87-89 trap door, and end cover, as well as the cable and correct pushrod(center piece)

With the correct tools, you can swap the trapdoor without pulling the gear set.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts