V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever have this happen while riding? I came close. Just noticed a couple of weeks ago that mine were breaking around the bottom wiring hole. There are 4 cracks from the oval internal wiring hole, 2 of them are over half way around the bars.

I can only imagine what that ride would be like if they had broken in two. :eek:

What could have caused this? They are 1 1/4 inch, 12.5" tall bars on 4.5" risers.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
someone posted a few years back that the handlebars broke while riding...wild ride from the sound of it...

bars can break for a lot of reasons...may have been tied down hard at one time...previous crash...somebody sat on one...or just a defect...

i wouldnt want to be riding when one breaks...i had a triple tree clamp break on a dirt bike once and i thought i was gonna die...i got lucky in the weeds...sont need that on the pavement...

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Cause? Most likely fatigue. The hole for the internal wiring will act as a stress riser, giving the cracks a place to start. Are the bars chrome plated? Improper plating procedure could exacerbate the problem.

Rob

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Had a handlebar come off of a bicycle one time... sure hope that never happens on a motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yep, done most of the above. I guess there are a lot or reasons. Anytime you make a hole, you give opportunity for a defect. I'm just glad I caught it. I've bit it many times off road, not yet on the pavement, but I've only got 25k miles on me.

·
I'm Your Huckleberry
2,040 Posts
Had a handlebar come off of a bicycle one time...
Yupper..did that one once. Crash landed on top of the bars with my hand pinned under them, still hanging on to the grip. Road rash took my knuckles damn near to the bone.
I don't even like to think it on a motorcycle.

I hit a truck at ~50 mph and went right through the bars on my way into the bed of the truck. Bent the hell out of the bars and turned my wrist into cheese, but...the bars didn't break.

You should feel very glad that you are smart enough to look over tour bike thoroughly and that you found the defect before a tragedy occurred. Well done. :clap:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Back in the 70's I had to pick up a friend of mine whose bars broke on his Honda CB500T. We replaced the bars, and they broke AGAIN 1 week to the day later, on the exact same road & location.

·
Registered
163 Posts
A buddy of mine from the xlforums had his bars break while riding. They were apes and they just snapped. He was able to control the bike enough to come to a safe stop, but he said it was an experience he'd rather not relive.

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Apes have a lot more stress on them due to their length, And I bet they don't get tested like the OEM stuff does.

·
'04 Softail Deuce
38 Posts
I have heard of them cracking at the handlebar wiring hole. Harley did not de-burr the holes and the sharp hole is a stress riser. Good thing to check on all bikes with through handlebar wiring. The sharp edge can also cut the wires.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I just dropped off a steep ledge on my dirt bike and was about two hundred feet from the bottom of the hill. It was steep as hell and I was doing all I could to keep it under control. All of a sudden my left hand dropped and I realized that the handlebar broke off completely. I still had the left handlebar and clutch lever/clutch cable in my hand, and thought "this is going to hurt". I tried to ride it as long as I could with only my right hand, but it was so steep and bumpy that I couldn't control it and crashed real hard. My riding buddies all came to see if I was alright - which I was, then laughed their asses off telling me how funny it looked. Thankfully that's the only time it's ever happened to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know a guy that rat rodded his bike so he made his apes out of water pipes, I told him it was not a good idea, it's threaded together and tack welded. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

·
Registered
2004 FLSTCI, 1993 FXDL
1,019 Posts
Believe it or not, Harley actually made two piece handlebars. I had a friend that was hurt pretty bad back in the early '70s when the throttle side of his bars swiveled down on the '62 Panhead he was riding. He was leaving a stop and turning right when he thought he'd get on it. The bar swung completely down making him grab full throttle. He hung on sliding it down on the right side and then it high sided him over the the other side. Beat the crap outta both sides of his face. But he hung on!
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Bicycle part Auto part

1 - 16 of 16 Posts