V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching a show about Evel Knevel last night. Of course I knew about him when he was still jumping but had no idea he jumped with Harley's. What model Harley would that have been?

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Don't know how much of this is accurate but from Wikipedia I found this.

Knievel sought to make more money off of his image. No longer satisfied with just receiving free motorcycles to jump with, Knievel wanted to be paid to use and promote a company's brand of motorcycles. After Triumph, the motorcycle that he had been jumping with, refused to meet his demands, Knievel started to propose the idea to other manufactures. American Eagle Motorcycles was the first company to sign Knievel to an endorsement deal. At approximately the same time, Fanfare Films started production of The Evel Knievel Story, a 1971 movie starring George Hamilton as Knievel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evel_Knievel

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Gray

I dont know much about Evel except that I know Evel used to use the Bell Star helmet. I currently use this full face made by Bell Laboratories on cold days here in NY. This most likely saved Evel's brains from being battered like the rest of his body.

·
72FX/04Ultra
598 Posts
If you track his history, you'll find that he crashed far more using Harleys. His most sucessful jumps came when he used Triumphs. Now.....you.....know

·
Banned
2,149 Posts
he crashed far more using Harleys
He crashed more because he kept increasing the distances. The Harley's torque is probably what saved him.

Yes, he used 750 flat track motors. That's the motor that eliminated Triumph from every being a serious threat.

·
Turgid member
1,941 Posts
It was a very interesting show. I followed him on and off during his jumping days. He was quite the figure in his time. Huge balls and ego. Made a fortune and lost it all. His canyon jump has to be the most amazing stunt of all time. No one, including him, had any idea what was going to happen. He still looks like if you offered him enough money, he'd still jump something. One of a kind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
EV's Bike

Do your history my brothers, Evil road a modified version of a Sporster! Girls bike? Yea, but I'm gonna have to say NO!:gun:

·
Turgid member
1,941 Posts
"By carefully coordinating his angle, thrust, and speed, which reached 90 to 100 miles per hour at takeoff, he remained in the air for as far as 165 feet."

The thing that I couldn't believe was that he never used any face shield or googles. I don't know about you, but when I'm going 90 to 100 mph and flying through the air to the tune of 165 feet or more, my eyes start to water up, and makes it hard to see.

·
72FX/04Ultra
598 Posts
"I got hurt real bad in Tacoma, Washington," Knievel says. "Had a severe brain concussion. Landed short. Hit the ramp, caught it on the rear wheel. I was riding a Triumph then, T-120 Bonneville. Then a 650 Bonneville Triumph. "Norton was the first sponsor I had. Then I went to Triumph. Knievel has claimed that the Triumph 650 was far and away the best bike he ever jumped with.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
This one is at the Motorcycle Museum in Anamosa, Iowa.

1972 XR750(or is it 1000?) I believe.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Must of been in 1970, but he was live in a local "Payless store" in Eugene OR once.. 3 or 4 bikes on display and ol EVEL himself.. Must of been 7 or 8 people there so he had alot of time to gab. Nice guy, but I was all of 15 years old, so can't remember it all..

Payless sold out to "RiteAid" some years ago. Just knocked down the same store that I saw Evel at.. Progress.. I just wish all the Californians would go back home......

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Since I have one of those girl's bikes (I may move to a 1200 in spring) I just so happened to be reading about the XR 750 the other day. This was a highly successful race bike for Harley for many years. Basicly the motor is an 883 with a shortened stroke, hence 750.

http://www.american-v.co.uk/roadtests/2002/xl883r/body.html

Id love to be able to afford a fatboy or night train, or even a Dyna but Ill have to settle for a XL 1200

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Sportster is a motorcycle. Who said it's a girl's bike? It allows people to ride who can't afford the more pricey motorcycles, and it sounds awesome with the right pipes. Yawn, who cares as long as you're riding. I see people with the most expensive motorcycles, and ride them almost 1000 miles for the year, but wear a H-D t-shirt everywhere. HA HA HA....now that's something to laugh at.

Thorns

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Thorns said:
Sportster is a motorcycle. Who said it's a girl's bike? It allows people to ride who can't afford the more pricey motorcycles, and it sounds awesome with the right pipes. Yawn, who cares as long as you're riding. I see people with the most expensive motorcycles, and ride them almost 1000 miles for the year, but wear a H-D t-shirt everywhere. HA HA HA....now that's something to laugh at.

Thorns
Im tossed up between Bassani Pro streets and RB LSR 2-1 pipes. I think the 2-1 is the winner but I sure like those short pipes

1 - 20 of 29 Posts