V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ev3 in an evo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i put an andrews cam in my 92 fatboy and i may be immagining it, but my bike seems to run hotter on the oil tank. now this is subjective, cuz i didn't have a temp. gauge to compare the 2 cams
my understanding was that with some of these mild street cams, a side effect was that the exhaust and oil temps ran cooler. so do you think my cam gear was not correctly indexed, or am i just using a little more of the available performance and increasing the heat by load.
btw i don't THINK i ride harder, but who knows???

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
How did you rejet the carb after the cam install? Maybe it is running lean?
Mine ran cooler with a EV27, and I do have a temp gauge.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LittleBear said:
How did you rejet the carb after the cam install? Maybe it is running lean?
Mine ran cooler with a EV27, and I do have a temp gauge.
hi littlebear, i think the dealer put a 1 mm spacer to raise the needle in the jet on the first service in '92. when i put the cam in a year ago, i drilled out the idle adjustment plug and adjusted the idle mixture screw to get a better idle than stock

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
You should change out your pilot jet also. Make it one size larger to start.
The Main should be fine, but a WOt test will show if it is too lean.
In 3rd gear, at 3k rpm give it WOT. After it starts to pull, back off on the throttle a little, if it seems to pull better or there is no change it is one size too lean also. If it stumbles when you back off WOT, the main is to rich, go down a size.

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
John,
Do you already have better breather and pipes to go with that EV-3? Rejetted carb? I have the EV-3 in 1995 FXDWG...along with that also have screamin eagle ignition (not necessary), rejetted stick carb, Kuryakyn Hypercharger, Vance & Hines Propipe. I'm not a guru but recommend you get that carb set up right and be careful if you are running too lean cause you'll yellow up your pipes if running hard or heavy. The EV-3 is a great bolt-in cam and makes great torque throughout. It's peak is 2,500-6000..and beleive you me, you can sure tell when it starts working and the big jet kicks in. I'm 52 years young and this is ALL the power I will ever need. Although, I would like to ride a real groundpounder sometime just to know what it's like.

Good Luck Mate,
Semper Fi,
Steve....Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
LittleBear is right on it. Just follow and you should be running cooler. I did the same stuff and run cooler with an EV27.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts