V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
polution components are different, wiring is different, brake lines are different... if you see anything on your US scoot that says "DOT" it's not on the EU bikes. To license a EU bike in the US, you have to change components to DOT. A big PIA.

·
Speed
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Geezer-Glide said:
polution components are different, wiring is different, brake lines are different... if you see anything on your US scoot that says "DOT" it's not on the EU bikes. To license a EU bike in the US, you have to change components to DOT. A big PIA.
So it is safe to assume that if a bike is being sold by a US dealer, that is not a converted EU bike?

Any way to know by the VIN?

·
Banned
202 Posts
All international VIN numbers start with a 5 instead of a 1.

The lights use a different lense also because of different regulations.

As far as the brake lines and wiring being different - that is far from true.

·
Registered
206 Posts
No, do not assume it is a US model.

I bought a used 2001 Heritage from a guy that bought it from a dealer in Atlanta. I got to looking at the paperwork the guy gave me, it showed he bought it "Used" with just 9 miles on the odometer.

After having the bike for a few months I noticed that the front signal/marker lights only worked as turn signals. I pulled the lenses and checked the bulb sockets. They were single filament. Also, the front and rear fender tips did not have wiring or light sockets like Heritages are supposed to.

I finally called the dealer that originally sold the bike. The sales manager told me that it was an "International Model" that was originally exported and not sold. Dealers were offered these bikes to be sold as "used" in the US.

What I have learned is that the basic differences on an export model is in the lighting.

I have not had any problems with the bike, it runs fine.

·
Banned
202 Posts
Pippeis said:
European bike have higher prices than the US version...

ciao...

F
The reason for that is because of the shipping costs involved, and then there is the import fees & taxes, that don't include the regular VAT added to the already inflated price.

·
Shithead
4,836 Posts
Generally in Europe, turn signals have to be orange and separate from the side and/or brake lights.

Most countries here will accept a US spec bike (or vehicle), but one specifically built to be sold here will have orange indicators.

I believe the headlight lens spec is different also but don't know details. Brake line material is different, but the US spec is accepted. And there may well be other differences.

[sarcasm on] And of course in UK all Harley Davidsons are right hand drive :D [/sarcasm off]

Pete

·
Shithead
4,836 Posts
And the Italian military models have 16 reverse gears and 1 forward in case of attack from the rear :D

Pete

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
Well... I did a websearch for "european models" and I, um, somehow :boobies: I got distracted.
No, I'm not gonna provide any links.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
European models have been equipped with catalytic converters for several years now. As of 2004 only EFI bikes with the CA style airbox.
One muffler features a CE # with CAT imprinted. Other differences are mostly wiring harness, self cancelling function of the indicators, another CE imprint on the mirror stems and all lenses are replaced with guess what the very same thing with a CE logo on them.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Looking thru a parts manual for any HD, you can see the different parts that are EU and US.

·
Just Sayin'
2,559 Posts
csoday said:
The french models pull to the left.
I thought the french models dropped their transmission and surrendered to the first crotch rocket that they saw?:D :D :D :D :sofa: %[email protected]

·
Just Sayin'
2,559 Posts
csoday said:
The french models pull to the left.
I thought the french models dropped their transmission and surrendered to the first crotch rocket that they saw?:D :D :D :D :sofa: %[email protected]

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
FLSTFI-2005 said:
All international VIN numbers start with a 5 instead of a 1.

The lights use a different lense also because of different regulations.

As far as the brake lines and wiring being different - that is far from true.
You know, you are right about the 5 meaning Canadian or European market designation. I just read this and realized that my new '06 DWG has a VIN that starts with a 5. I bought it new in Ohio. I wonder how it ended up being sold in the USA. Maybe my bike missed the boat?..lol.. So far, I have done some work on it and haven't noticed anything that raised any flags. I guess the moco might have changed everything back to USA standard issue? Or maybe my frame was originally intended for an overseas bike and built as a USA model? ... Got me wondering now..

·
Speed
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
SHEP said:
No, do not assume it is a US model.

I bought a used 2001 Heritage from a guy that bought it from a dealer in Atlanta. I got to looking at the paperwork the guy gave me, it showed he bought it "Used" with just 9 miles on the odometer.

After having the bike for a few months I noticed that the front signal/marker lights only worked as turn signals. I pulled the lenses and checked the bulb sockets. They were single filament. Also, the front and rear fender tips did not have wiring or light sockets like Heritages are supposed to.

I finally called the dealer that originally sold the bike. The sales manager told me that it was an "International Model" that was originally exported and not sold. Dealers were offered these bikes to be sold as "used" in the US.

What I have learned is that the basic differences on an export model is in the lighting.

I have not had any problems with the bike, it runs fine.
Thanks for the information! Does your VIN start with 5?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts