V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my state of missouri is demanding all fuel sold in mo. have ethanol. it is just a matter of time before this happens. what changes do i have to do to a carb and a fuel injection motor one is a 2002 fatboy carb and the other is a 2006 deluxe fuel injection? i haven't talked to the dealer yet to see what their plan will be. the fuel is suppose to have a least 10% ethanol in them. when i purchased the 2006 they said don't buy any fuel with ethanol in it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,460 Posts
We've had ethanol gas here in MN for years and no changes have been needed. You likely won't notice a difference in performance or mileage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
Cop_Stanger said:
We've had ethanol gas here in MN for years and no changes have been needed. You likely won't notice a difference in performance or mileage.
The problem in minnesota will come with the mandated 20% blend. My owners manual for 2001 said no more than 10%.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,644 Posts
Ethanol does not store as well. Make sure and use stabil, if bike is going to sit for few weeks.

Robs power and mileage. May be harder on fuel injectors too. Guys who run sleds go one octane up.
I am doing a build now, due to the increasing areas with ethanol I am going to lower compression build.

I try to gas up as much as I can in areas without ethanol. Usually cheaper. I have never ran it in my sled. Forced to in my bike, I go through to much of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
838 Posts
Minnesota Riders - Ethenol

I use the 92 octane NO ethenol gas. It is the same price as premium but is legal to use in classic cars, lawnmowers, ATV's, and motorcycles. Go to www.MSRA.com for a list of gas stations near you that sell it in Minnesota.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ethanol ?

thanks for the info i always run 91% octain or higher (no ethanol). i didn't know for sure what effect it would cause if any.
 

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
Joined
·
4,884 Posts
Califorinia has all gasoline mixed with 10% ethanol. I don't believe any changes are required. If they go to 15% I'd start to wonder.

My Ultra runs on 87 octane 90/10 rather well so I use a tank now and then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
What I do, as well many others I know is this.

Have some MMO(marvel mystry oil) in side bag, or in garage. About every other tank full or so add a little bit. Like a couple cap fulls or so. This will also help to keep injectors clean, as well as carbs.

During winter, maybe only ride once or twice a month, I will keep a strong blend of MMO in tank. I live in South Dakota.

Have 110 tho on a wing doing this(a 97). My sporty runs on it, over 20 tho on it in last couple years, and 4 tho on my new bob. All with MMO and ethanol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts
ethanol

I'm not an expert on this by any means, just regirgitating some things I've heard. H-D is ok with 10-15% ethanol. the problem beyond that, from what i've heard outside of the motorcylcing community is that the ethanol eats rubber. So if you go too far beyond the 10-15%, you need to eliminate your rubber gas lines, and the gaskets/rings in your carb would need replaced with a non-rubber material. you'll get worse gas milage, but better performance - ain't that the way it always is??? i'm guessing that would lend itself to needing to readjust a carb. Also, the higher the ethanol contect, the more difficult cold starts become. That is the reason for the E85, as opposed to going straight ethanol...
for you guys with FI, i'm clueless.
 

·
Incredible
Joined
·
3,029 Posts
hoggboy03 said:
my state of missouri is demanding all fuel sold in mo. have ethanol. it is just a matter of time before this happens. what changes do i have to do to a carb and a fuel injection motor one is a 2002 fatboy carb and the other is a 2006 deluxe fuel injection? i haven't talked to the dealer yet to see what their plan will be. the fuel is suppose to have a least 10% ethanol in them. when i purchased the 2006 they said don't buy any fuel with ethanol in it.
The first thing and foremost is get rid of the stupid politicians that enacted that bill. Think about it. There is no way we can produce enough ethanol for everyone to use it. What does your state expect, priority from every state producing it to send it to your state because a law demanding it was put into effect first? Not going to happen. A lot of the alternative fuels are wishful thinking and just plain stupid. Ethanol is not anywhere near ready for mass usage and if it does reach that guess what, we will be dependant on foreign growers just as we are dependent on foreign oil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
ethonol

Fatb0y said:
The first thing and foremost is get rid of the stupid politicians that enacted that bill. Think about it. There is no way we can produce enough ethanol for everyone to use it. What does your state expect, priority from every state producing it to send it to your state because a law demanding it was put into effect first? Not going to happen. A lot of the alternative fuels are wishful thinking and just plain stupid. Ethanol is not anywhere near ready for mass usage and if it does reach that guess what, we will be dependant on foreign growers just as we are dependent on foreign oil.
Yes mo pollyticians cannot find their A$% in the sunshine lol.:cheers:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,644 Posts
1969K10 said:
you'll get worse gas milage, but better performance - ain't that the way it always is??? .
Actually its double jeopordy. Less power and less mpg.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,289 Posts
Ethanol has a substantially lower heat value (BTUs/gal) than straight gasoline. This will produce less power/gallon which translates into lower mpgs. Detonation however is reduced due to the lower flame temperature of Ethanol. In theory you could raise comp to make use of the higher detonation limit and regain some of the power losses.
 

·
Incredible
Joined
·
3,029 Posts
Not only is ethanol horrible at mileage it is expensive. The ONLY reason that ethanol is cheaper at the pump on a regular basis than gasoline is the government subsidies paid to ethanol producers which keeps the price down. Guess what happens as more and more users start hitching into another crappy idea for alternative fuel? The subsidies will be removed then you will be paying just as much per gallon for a crappy fuel that gets you less economy.

Just another crappy idea for alternative fuel. Burn the crap out of gasoline, stop making "Speciality" freaking blends all over the country which is REALLY stupid, and tap into the oil we have all over the coast not even including Alaska. We currently have plenty of oil, coal, and natural gas here to make us non-dependent for many years but we unfortunately have to many idiotic politicians willing to step up to the plate and build more refineries and tap our resources. They would rather kiss the ass of the cartel and trade oil at the world price on our stock market instead of what oil is actually worth on our market. :nunu:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,644 Posts
If you do a search on this, there is also debate that it cause more pollution . I know my old honda said not exceed 10%. Wonder what will happen to warranties when they do? Car companies may sweep it under the rug in order to sell more vehicles. Either that or fuel injector cleanerings will be considered routine maintance.
 

·
Total Nutcase
Joined
·
2,691 Posts
berserker said:
If you do a search on this, there is also debate that it cause more pollution . I know my old honda said not exceed 10%. Wonder what will happen to warranties when they do? Car companies may sweep it under the rug in order to sell more vehicles. Either that or fuel injector cleanerings will be considered routine maintance.
Yeah, I read that by the time they till the fields, plant the corn, harvest it, take it to market, and then convert it to ethanol.. they used more energy than they created, plus created more pollution than they prevented. Just a way for farming states to cash in on alternative fuels without accomplishing a whole lot.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,644 Posts
I wonder what is the limit on 4 stroke engine efficency? Have we reached it? What about other cycles? I think this an area that needs to be researched. Though you can only get so much energy out of a BTU. But I still got to think we can come up with a more efficeint means.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
I live next to two ethanol plants and I can guarantee you that more energy is consumed to make it than what is delivered as the final product. If any of you remember back a few years ago, Tom Brokaw of NBC News had specials called The Fleecing of America. Ethanol was one of his subjects and he stated that it was developed mostly as a supplement income for corn producers. Now its become top priority because of all the oil B.S. I think once the oil companys are threatend enough by the production of ethanol you will see a gradual drop in oil prices. But thats just my opinion. Remember the early to mid seventys?
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top