V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has happened the last 4 fill-ups

i stop and fill up the rod------take off , the gauge reads full-----then in about a minute, the fuel needle starts to freefall-----it takes maybe two minutes to get to the bottom with the low fuel light coming on at 1/4---------it stays there for 5 maybe 10 minutes or longer and then i can see it creeping back up.......

the first time it did this i stopped on the side of the road to see if i had a fuel leak or something-------i then ran the key all the way to accy. and forced the ecm to do its diognostics thing-----that seemed to reset the gauge

Hey, just pass'n it on -------my dealer knows and he called HD and is waiting for some feedback.....

Hutch

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've got that problem along with a chrome upper belt guard that's rubbing my chrome sprocket and some occasional stalling when closing the throttle with the clutch disengaged. Dealer says bring it in. I say, "and miss a day or two of riding?!!". I'll see them at the 5000 mile service. I love this bike. These are minor irritations but they haven't spoiled my fun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a similar thing happen - only once in 750 miles. After gassing up, the gauge was "stuck" at E - with the low fuel light on. Took a few times cycling ignition to get it to reset. Hasn't done it since. Kind of weird.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Fuel Guage Problems

My fuel guage began reading improperly at 4000 miles. It reads fine until the motor is running. Both the guage and miles remaining will slowly drop to nothing. It is a minor inconveniece that I can live with until Harley Davidson releases a fix. These things are to be expected on a first year production bike.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have 6K on my V-Rod that has the same problem. It's at the HD dealer for the 5K check. I told them about the problem. I'll post an update when I get it back from the dealer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Compared to some of you all, I'm still a newbee at 3K. Anyhow, my fuel gauge drops very fast. The gauge definitely doesn't match the real fuel level and mileage. Awaiting more info from "hdvrsc2002".

·
Registered
8 Posts
I picked up my '02 VRSCA after it was rebuilt following an accident. The fuel gauge is all over the place now! Never did that before the accident. I will contact my dealer next week. If I hear anything I will pass it along. I suspect a bad fuel level sending unit....

SSLIVIN
St. Peters, MO

·
Registered
14 Posts
Got my bike back last week. They said it was a fuel sending unit thats bad. Its on order and should be in this week. I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I just did 600 miles in the last few days and at every fill up the guage dropped to empty in the first few minutes and either when I stopped (like at a toll booth) or within about 15 miles the guage returned to normal. It just started doing it and when I took it into the dealer he had no idea what I was talking about (looked at me like I was on drugs or something). Anyway it's a minor inconvenience that I'm sure will be rectified soon. HD must know about it by now.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ERRADIC FUEL GAUGE = IRRADIC RIDER

Last week on a ride with Wifey , i fill up about 40 minutes from home-----she drops to emty and stays there the rest of the way home------

next ride she goes up, then down , then up again.......tah dah , so i fill up again and put her to rest for a couple'a days............. well, i get back on to go for a twist , fire her up , check the gauge , and the needle is sittin on the bottom and wont budge........see'n how it was a couple'a days since i rode last , i'm not sure of my previous fill up ( senior moment maybe ?) so i pull into fill her up , and she takes .65 cents:mad: .....

so now its not just an annoyance, but an inconvenience and possible a danger........

I'm flagging my dealer that a fix is needed now , and not just , " lets keep an eye on it ".......

Perhaps a ground thing or loose conn. ----I'm at a lose

Hutch

·
Registered
906 Posts
For what it's worth...I have seen on eBay a Tech Manual for the V-Rod that is separate for the electronics. I asked the dealer about it and he claimed it didn't exist, but I have seen it several times on eBay.
One auction offered the usual V-Rod Maintenance Manual AND the V-Rod Electronics Manual! I will be sure to snag it next time it comes up...has anyone else seen this manual??

·
Banned
490 Posts
V-Rod Manuals - and gas gauge woes

There is in fact both a VRSCA shop manual, and a VRSCA Electronics shop manual. I saw them both at a local (West Bend, WI) dealership.

The only problem I have with my gas gauge is that it seems to be TOO darn accurate. I fill up and I can watch that needle drop by 1/8th of a tank for every 12 miles I ride. I'm lucky if I can go more than 100 miles without stopping for gas...

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
Something I've always done on my bikes and in my car as well is to alway reset the trip odometer when I fill the bike/car up. My bike will almost always get about 100 mi. and my car about 300mi. per tank/ and the difference for highway/ airconditioner running/ etc.. is just a couple of miles. My old bikes never had a gas guage and it was the only sure way to keep track of how far I had left to go before refilling, especially after the bike's been sitting for a while and I can't remember when I filled it last. I know when I kick her off exactly how far I can go before I have to stop next. Really helpful for long rides and poker runs.

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
Didn't realize that the V-rod came with a reverse mileage trip computer to estimate the remaining miles left 'till refill. Very clever.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It's happening to me

Well I guess i spoke to soon. 8200 miles and now the erradic fuel gauge.
Fill it up, and about 25 miles or so it starts to drop to dead E. If I shut off and on the key, it resets itself. Going to wait till 10k service in a couple of weeks to fix. Its most likely fuel sending unit.
ride safe
vrodtom

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm having the same problem and had the service dept. take a look at it. They said they couldn't find anything wrong but thought it may have been a loose connection which they said they tightened. However this did not fix the problem. I was then in the Fort Lauderdale shop a few weeks later and asked the service manager how many V-Rod fuel guage problems he had dealt with and he said he had never heard of any complaints about the erratic fuel guage. I'm going to call H-D and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Just checked with H-D about the fuel guage problem. They say they are aware of it and are working on a fix. They say there is no point taking the bike into the dealer for repair until they have the problem resolved.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts