V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone looked at the EPA rules that are now in effect? I was reading about them in AIM. Is anyone worried?

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's starting...

Just popped into my dealer to pick up some parts... My parts girl is pretty sharp and just told me that as of May, HD will obsolete all racing exhaust systems (i.e. SEII slip-ons and pipes) in an effort to meet EPA requirements. She said they will also start and try to "Persuade" aftermarket manufacturers to do the same (or at least meet requirements for new products).

Sounds scary to me when the MOCO starts bowing before “The Man”.

The way I see it is that if the GOV is busy with the MOCOs of the world; they won’t have time to worry about us, the lowly biker. But if someone (i.e. MOCO or AMA) doesn’t fight the good fight… we are next!

·
Seasonably Uncool
428 Posts
This has been discussed in several threads before, but never seems to cause a big stir. I´d be very worried.

Read up on the whole thing here

http://www.aimag.com/epa/owners.htm

and send in the form to the MRF if you want to try and help.

Do it now!

CYA
Sponk

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
jrrhdmust said:
Has anyone looked at the EPA rules that are now in effect? I was reading about them in AIM. Is anyone worried?
The time to start worrying is when your state starts to enforce the epa rules. :yes:

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Yeah, but y'all are getting worried too late. I got worried early enough to buy an '05 and take realllyyyy good care of it.
'Course, when I mentioned this last hear, the Chicken Little comments started.:2flips:

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
A little late to worry my friends, like Mega said. This rule has been around 3 years, It went into effect January 7, 2003.
The MoCo is not bowing to the EPA, they like the new regs. They can meet them and other companies that can not may go out of business. Less competition. They have been aware of them since they were passed and the only thing they have done is spend R&D money trying to meet them, not spend lobby dollars trying to change them.
Time to buy a "74 shovelhead I guess. No EPA problems with it.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bump - This is too important to let slide....

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
MegaGlide said:
I got worried early enough to buy an '05 and take realllyyyy good care of it.
Guess I shouldn't have installed my new pipes, BS air cleaner, and SERT last night :brows:
Maybe I just need to take it all back off and run stock...F-that.:nfu2:

·
Registered
838 Posts
We are all at risk...

I don't know why people with '05 and earlier bikes think that they are going to get a free pass....I have an '02 and from what I have read in the AIM articles, it is illegal to modify ANY bike made after a certain year (some time in the 70's I think?). If they start mandatory state inspections, why would you think they would limit it to just '06 and later bikes???

In typical government form, I think they will require ALL bikes to be brought in for inspections and probably receive some type of annual certification sticker so it could be registered each year. If you have an '05 or older that has aftermarket heads, exhaust, even an air cleaner, you won't pass a visual inspection, not to mention a tail pipe test.

I have heard the argument that they will only inspect bikes that came from the factory with cats, etc, but you have to think like they do...If the government invests a lot of money in facilities and training, they will be out to impact as many motorcycles as possible to justify their program and their budgets. **This means you and I my friends.

I am not happy about the thought that I may have to someday switch my bike back to stock to be "allowed" to ride it on the street again, but it may come down to this. I have friends who have live over seas who have actually had to switch a stock engine and tranny back into their car each year to pass inspection, but then once they get their tags, they pull the stocker back out and swap in a modified engine back in. Supposedly, if you get stopped by the authorities and they do a spot inspection and discover you did that, your ride is confiscated on the spot and is almost impossible to get back. Trouble is, I could actually see that happening here some day...

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
'79 I think is when the no tamper rules came into effect.
BUT
I read the EPAs FAQs from their website a bit differently than I have read here and on other sites. Folks have been saying you can't make changes but as I read it you are allowed to make changes as long as your vehicle does not exceed the emmissions standards for whatever year and type vehicle it is. That is quite different than no changes period.
The only thing that has changed for 2006 (and again in 2010) are the emmissions levels. California is a bit different (no comments please) in that they have a list of approved parts on the CARB website. You can legally only use those "devices" that are listed. I think there are 2 or 3 legal Harleys in California. Since the CO and NOX standards are going to be the same nationwide you probably can safely assume that the other 49 states will use the same list.
BTW there is nothing about noise levels on the FAQ page.
The aftermarket is going to have to come up with catalytic mufflers and soon.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Vermont is contemplating doing emissions tests as part of the annual inspection now. Probe up the pipe! Doesn't pass or mods made, NO STICKER!

A couple of years ago they started plugging into the black box in our automoblies as part of the inspection, now they are taking aim at bikes.

I sent in my protest forms found in AIM magazine! Did anyone else!

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Vermont

Just curious, does Vermont have the same "no mods" restriction on cars?

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
sloxl said:
Just curious, does Vermont have the same "no mods" restriction on cars?
I believe they do, but I am not positive. I do know that the rules were never enforced until recently and they only apply to cars and bikes of a certain year and forward. There is an age cut off. I am learning more as I go. I run stock automobiles so I personally am not affected by those rules, but still support those that do mod cars! All my extra Moola goes into kids, bikes, house, in that general order! :duh?:

The Vermont Barny Fifes are even starting to enforce things such as DOT helmet certification and 4 square inches of reflectorization on helmets. etc.
Yep two tickets last year for helmet violations which we never worried about before! I didn't even know Vermont required helmet reflectorization! In a pinch, aluminum foil works good :thumbsup: Seriously, it got me a laugh from a judge and a warning instead of a fine! Wouldn't rely on it.

Even got a ticket last fall for not wearing proper eye protection. I was going to work at 5:00 am in the morning and in 45 degree weather my glasses kept fogging completely over with condensation. I had to keep wiping with my finger and occassionaly had to flip them up a few times off my eyes. Yep wearing them over your eyes as prescribed by law is different then wearing them on my forehead. I wish I wasn't so honest!

·
Registered
435 Posts
LittleBear said:
A little late to worry my friends, like Mega said. This rule has been around 3 years, It went into effect January 7, 2003.
The MoCo is not bowing to the EPA, they like the new regs. They can meet them and other companies that can not may go out of business. Less competition. They have been aware of them since they were passed and the only thing they have done is spend R&D money trying to meet them, not spend lobby dollars trying to change them.
Time to buy a "74 shovelhead I guess. No EPA problems with it.
Not true at all. The EPA can go all the way back to 1979 when the regs went into effect. That means that there will be Shovelheads that are subject to the new laws. Did you read the entire AIM article. It isn't likely that they would do it but they have the authority to do so. That's the really scary part.

Tim

·
Seasonably Uncool
428 Posts
sloxl said:
'79 I think is when the no tamper rules came into effect.
BUT
I read the EPAs FAQs from their website a bit differently than I have read here and on other sites. Folks have been saying you can't make changes but as I read it you are allowed to make changes as long as your vehicle does not exceed the emmissions standards for whatever year and type vehicle it is. That is quite different than no changes period.
I believe you are wrong about that. I think the "anti-tampering" provision of the Clean Air Act states that you cannot legaly CHANGE ANYTHING that will alter the vehicle´s emissions as certified.

Quote:
The Clean Air Act, Section 203(a), states that it is illegal “for any person to remove or render inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle in compliance with regulations under this title prior to its sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser or after such sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser.”

That would include noise and gaseous emissions, irrespective of what the limits that the manufacturer had to comply with to have the vehicle certified were at the time. Even pulling that little plug on the idle mixture adjuster screw on your CV carb would constitute tampering.

How and from what year on the man will enforce this is anyone´s guess...

Send in the form to the MRF.
http://www.aimag.com/epa/EPA_Questionnaire.pdf

C Ya
Sponk

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Motorcycle Riders Foundation survey

The Motorcycle Riders Foundation has an electronic version of the survey on their website pertaining to the new EPA rules for shops and individuals for anyone who is interested.

The link is on the front page of their website: www.mrf.org

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I spoke with the manager of my local HD dealer today. We sat for about a half hour in his office and discussed this issue.

He says the focus of what is going on with the EPA is on the manufacturers first followed by the dealers at this point in time. The MoCo, as has been stated, has halted distribution of SE pipes. The owner of this dealership also owns two others and in all three they have ceased installation of any and all non-street legal parts. For the time being, they are continuing to install after market pipes like Rinehart, V & H, etc. He says it isn't California specific, that the EPA is pressuring on the national level and all states will feel the impact eventually. California, as usual, is leading the campaign.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Sponk is right on when he quotes the EPA sections 203, BUT in their FAQs on the website they go on to say that the tampering clause does not prohibit (I'm paraphrasing here) owners from customizing or personalizing their bikes as long as those changes do not cause the emmissions levels to be exceeded.
California does have a list of approved devices, so far the US does not. Unfortunately I saved the FAQs in PDF form so I can't copy and paste here.
The FAQs page is about halfway down under "Final Rule for Cleaner Highway Motorcycles (published January 15, 2004):

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/roadbike.htm

Don't get me wrong, I think the enforcement potential of this law is scary as hell, and yes I have sent in the form.
As other people have mentioned several states have taken these laws even farther, all I am talking about is the original EPA mandate. It may be time for us to start with our local state legislatures as well as the US congress. The last thing we need is 50 different laws, can you imagine trying to sell your bike across state lines then....?

·
Seasonably Uncool
428 Posts
sloxl said:
...BUT in their FAQs on the website they go on to say that the tampering clause does not prohibit (I'm paraphrasing here) owners from customizing or personalizing their bikes as long as those changes do not cause the emmissions levels to be exceeded.

Not wanting to nitpick here, but your conclusion is a stretch from this:

Quote EPA FAQs:
Would new emission standards make it illegal to
customize my motorcycle?

No, the standards will not make it illegal for owners to customize their
motorcycles. However, as established under the Clean Air Act in 1977,
motorcycle owners cannot legally make modifications that would cause
the emissions to exceed the applicable standards, and they cannot remove
or disable emission control devices installed by the manufacturer
End Quote

I agree that this leaves a little room for interpretation, but I believe what they mean is that you can continue putting chrome doodads and paint on your bike. "Removing or disabling emission control devices installed by the manufacturer" makes it pretty clear that any change to your engine, intake, exhaust and, as some would even argue, drivetrain, tire size etc would constitute tampering unless the exchanged item can be found on a list of exemptions such as the one for California.

I definitely agree it would be a nightmare to have 50 different lists of approved modifications.

Here in Germany you can install anything approved by the german TÜV, but I can assure you, that if it complies with their rules, it ain´t gonna be much of an "improvement".

As has been said many times before, it´s all going to depend on enforcement of the rules.

Buried in Snow
Sponk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts