V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to get your air cooled TC88. I bet there will be a rush on 2005 HD's. Think I'll put a deposit down now for an '05, maybe several. I especially love the draconian "anti-tampering" proposals.

JMS

EPA TO ADOPT CALIFORNIA STREETBIKE EMISSION STANDARDS

(Press Release from American Motorcyclist Association)

PICKERINGTON, Ohio -- New road motorcycles sold nationwide will be required to meet strict emissions standards set by the state of California beginning in 2006 under rules being proposed by the federal Environmental Protection Agency, the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) reports.
While the EPA hasn't released its final proposal for public comment, a draft proposal obtained by the AMA shows the EPA wants to adopt a two-tier standard already approved in California on a delayed basis.
The first tier of California standards will go into effect in 2004, with the second tier scheduled for 2008. The federal EPA is proposing to adopt the same standards but on a two-year delay, meaning tier one would take effect in 2006 and tier two in 2010.
Road motorcycles built before the 2006 model year would be unaffected by the new regulations and would remain legal to ride.
If adopted, the new federal emissions regulations are expected to result in an increased use of fuel injection and catalytic converters on new motorcycles.
Some current motorcycles sold nationwide already meet California's strict 2008 standard. Honda's 2002 Gold Wing, for example, meets the California standard with the use of an emissions control system that includes fuel injection and a three-way exhaust catalyzer to reduce emissions of hydrocarbons, nitrogen oxides and carbon monoxide.
Besides tightening existing standards for street motorcycles, the EPA had suggested that the new rules might include requirements for specific components on motorcycles to meet the regulations, as well as stricter "anti-tampering" regulations, which could prohibit certain modifications to motorcycles.
The AMA asked federal officials to refrain from establishing such a list of technologies that manufacturers must use in making cleaner motorcycles. Instead, the Association recommended setting performance-based standards that would allow manufacturers the maximum amount of innovation in reducing emissions.
The advance copy of the proposed emissions regulations indicates that the EPA has taken that approach, leaving it up to the manufacturers to figure out how to meet the standards. The agency also provided an exemption for small manufacturers who may not have the resources to do the research and development needed to meet the proposed new national emissions standards.
Under that exemption, motorcycle manufacturers with sales of fewer than 3,000 bikes a year, and having fewer than 500 employees, would have until the 2008 model year to meet the tier one national emissions standard. Those manufacturers wouldn't be required to meet the tougher tier two standards.
New motorcycles sold in California beginning with the 2004 model year must emit no more than 1.4 grams per kilometer of hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides, and 12 grams per kilometer of carbon monoxide. The proposed federal standard would be the same, but would go into effect in 2006.
The California standard gets tougher in 2008, with a limit of 0.8 grams per kilometer of hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides and 12 grams per kilometer of carbon monoxide. The proposed federal standard would be the same, but would go into effect in 2010.
Currently, the federal emissions standards for on-road motorcycles are 5.0 grams per kilometer of hydrocarbons and 12 grams per kilometer of carbon monoxide.
Meanwhile, the EPA is also in the process of finalizing emissions standards for off-road motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles.
For more information, go to the AMA's website at www.AMADirectlink.com and click on the "Protecting Your Right to Ride" button.

EPA To Propose Streetbike Emissions Rules in November

Sept. 21 - The federal Environmental Protection Agency has announced that it will issue proposed new rules in November to toughen emissions standards for road motorcycles, the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) reports.

Besides tightening existing standards, those new rules could include requirements for specific components on motorcycles -- such as fuel injection and catalytic converters -- as well as "anti-tampering" regulations, which could prohibit certain modifications to motorcycles, such as installing certain aftermarket exhaust systems.

November’s proposals will follow on the heels of strict emissions proposals for off-highway motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles released by EPA Administrator Christine Whitman on Sept. 14. The EPA had hoped to issue proposed regulations covering streetbikes at the same time, but indicated it ran out of time to put those proposed rules together and will finish them in November.

The AMA and other motorcyclist groups had asked the EPA to consider only off-highway vehicles this year, rather than tackling both road and off-highway emissions at the same time. In the end, though, the EPA chose to ignore those requests.

"As much as we may want new EPA rules governing streetbikes to be delayed, they will not," said Edward Moreland, AMA vice president for government relations. "The proposed rules, when they are issued in November, could have a major impact on motorcycling in the near future.

"We’ve already submitted official comments expressing our concerns, and we’re prepared to act swiftly to analyze and respond to the proposed rules when they are issued," Moreland said. "Motorcyclists nationwide need to be prepared to express their own views in November.

Among other things, the AMA asked federal officials in February to refrain from establishing a list of technologies -- like fuel injection and catalytic converters -- and asked that any new standards be performance-based, allowing manufacturers the maximum amount of innovation in reducing emissions.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Now if you dont want to sit back and take it like AMA is willing to do heres what MRF and ABATE want us to do.
I for one am not a sheep that will go without a fight!!!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Phone: 202-546-0983
October 10, 2002
#02NR31 - POWERFUL CONGRESSMEN CO-SPONSOR BARCIA ACT!

ALSO: SOMEONE IS LOBBYING AGAINST YOU! HOW TO FIGHT BACK!

U.S. Representatives Jerry Weller (R-Illinois) and Don Young (R-Alaska) -
two leading MRF Champions of Motorcyclists' Rights & Safety - have signed
on as co-sponsors of H.R. 5433 - "The Motorcycle & Motorcycling Small
Business Protection Act."

MAJOR GRASSROOTS ACTION...This major development follows vigorous
grassroots action by ABATE of Illinois and ABATE of Alaska, and was
buttressed by the visit to Washington, DC, this week by Steve Zimmer and
Hairy George of ABATE of Ohio. In addition to visiting several Ohio
lawmakers, the ABATE-MRF team paid a call on Congressmen Young and Jim
Barcia (D-Michigan), lead sponsor of the legislation. The JOBS, JOBS, JOBS
theme rang in every office: for each Congressman visited, the ABATE of Ohio
team had identified as many as 50-plus motorcycling small businesses
threatened by the EPA's overly restrictive rule on street bikes.

CONGRESS SEEKS DELAY IN STREET BIKE RULE...Owing to grassroots action by
ABATE of Illinois and technical support by the MRF, Congressmen Tim
Johnson, John Shimkus and Don Manzullo signed an appeal to the EPA to
extend the deadline for public comment on the street bike rule until
January 8, 2003. "The cost effectiveness and safety issues regarding this
proposed rule are the primary, though certainly not the sole, areas of
concern raised by small business owners, motorcycle riders, and other
stakeholders in our districts," the Congressmen wrote. "Three months is
simply insufficient time for affected parties to thoroughly examine - and
the EPA to properly address - the impact [the rule] will have on our
constituents."

EPA ENFORCEMENT BOOSTED...For those who think the EPA won't enforce its
regulations - think again. This week, House appropriators restored $10.4
million in cuts sought by the Bush Administration to the EPA Office of
Enforcement and Compliance Assurance. That money will fund 88 of the 95
enforcement positions eliminated under the president's budget
proposal. "We're addressing the need to have an enforcement program at the
EPA that fully ensures the environmental laws of the country are being
enforced," said U.S. Rep. Maurice Hinchey (D-New York) who seeks even more
money for EPA's enforcement arm.

SOMEONE IS LOBBYING YOUR CONGRESSMEN; IT'S TIME YOUR REPRESENTATIVES
REPRESENT YOU!...This week we learned that someone is telling your
Congressmen that they need not sign on as co-sponsors of H.R. 5433. We do
not know who is lobbying against you, but we do know what is being said.
Your Congressman is being told that H.R. 5433 can't make it into law this
year, so he/she can always wait until the 108th Congress convenes next year
to do something for you.

NOT TRUE!

First, the MRF and SMROs are working with key Congressmen NOW to pass H.R
5433 into law THIS YEAR. Second, if your Congressman waits until next
year, it will be too late - too late for your rights and safety and too
late for small business jobs - because the EPA's final rule on street bikes
will be a done deal - complete with nearly 100 new "enforcers."

In short, your Congressman's name belongs on H.R. 5433, and it belongs
there NOW!

Here's what to do:

1. Pick up the phone and call your Congressman (Capitol Switchboard: 202-
224-3121).

2. Tell your Congressman that H.R. 5433 co-sponsors now include Don Young,
powerful Chairman of the House Transportation Committee, who has a keen
sense of the billions of gallons of fuel an increase in motorcycling can
save. Tell your Representative that his/her name is noticeable by its
absence on the H.R. 5433 co-sponsorship list.

3. Brief your Congressman that the EPA is pushing California-style over-
regulation that has put the hurt on motorcycling in that state. In 1992,
278,000 new motorcycles were sold in the United States, with sales topping
710,000 in 2000. If motorcycling in California grew at the same pace as
motorcycling across America, California should now boast as many as 1.5
million gas-miserly, congestion-busting motorcycles. In California,
however, from 1992 to 2000, MOTORCYCLE REGISTRATION DROPPED from almost
650,000 to less than 400,000. Over-regulation is the cause - and the EPA is
now proposing the same sort of over-regulation that sent California
motorcycling spiraling downward.

With the U.S. House of Representatives passing a resolution this week to
allow the use of force against Iraq, U.S. dependence on foreign oil is a
FRONT-AND-CENTER issue. So is the survival of jobs, jobs, jobs - in the
aftermarket, among small-volume motorcycle makers and in dozens of custom
shops in every Congressional district in America.

Urge your Congressman to slash dependence on foreign oil, cut pollution and
save small business jobs! URGE HIM/HER TO CO-SPONSOR H.R. 5433!

<<30>>

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HD will start phasing out the Carburators in 2004 and 2 or 3 new models expected in 2004.

JMS

·
Registered
906 Posts
geee what a coincidence...trying to get everyone cozy with the idea by putting out the V-Rod...i guess it was meant to soften the blow.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
Just a matter of time, is all. Have the other manufacturers started sliding toward EFI also?

·
Registered
565 Posts
I can see it now, a 2005 Heritage Classic with the V-Rod motor. Classic looks with 105 fuel injected HP, no tranny clunk, hydraulic clutch, 6-speed gears, 9000 rpm red-line. Damn, now that I think about it, I could be persuaded to take a test ride or two! Later, Jefro.

·
Banned
5,863 Posts
jefro said:
I can see it now, a 2005 Heritage Classic with the V-Rod motor. Classic looks with 105 fuel injected HP, no tranny clunk, hydraulic clutch, 6-speed gears, 9000 rpm red-line. Damn, now that I think about it, I could be persuaded to take a test ride or two! Later, Jefro.
Doubtful. Such a bike would be neither "Heritage" nor "Classic"

Dean

·
Registered
565 Posts
What part of 105 HP dont ya like? Or you could spend $4000 to try to get your air cooled 88 to make maybe 95 HP! I love old iron like my 69 Super Bee 440 Hemi, but I got nothin against the Motor Company moving into the 21st century either. Later, Jefro(Sr. CNC Machinist)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Same kind of lame arguments when the Evo first came out, and when the the balanced Twin Cam came out. I love my Colt 1911 .45 1, but in a real firefight I'll always take a Glock! Later, Jefro.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
jefro said:
Same kind of lame arguments when the Evo first came out, and when the the balanced Twin Cam came out. I love my Colt 1911 .45 1, but in a real firefight I'll always take a Glock! Later, Jefro.
Why do folks always try to convince others that one approach is better than the other? I bought my air cooled HD because that is exactly what I wanted. I like having choices and it pisses me off when the EPA forces the market instead of the consumers driving market demand. If I wanted a water cooled bike I would have bought a V-Rod. They are cool bikes and some day I would not mind having one. But...I don't like being forced into it by the Government.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts