V-Twin Forum banner

EPA Concerns, Inspection Stickers, etc.

4K views 48 replies 29 participants last post by  FE Butte 
#1 ·
I don't understand all the concerns about the EPA, inspection stickers, and modifying Harleys. I live in Massachusetts, and it has as much, if not more bullshit to deal with as other states, but when I go for an inspection sticker I go to my Harley dealership that sold me the "race only" parts, so the sticker is automatic. My car is different, obviously, I have to go to an independent inspection station. Where are you guys getting your bikes inspected that causes so much concern?

#2 ·
Player said:
I don't understand all the concerns about the EPA, inspection stickers, and modifying Harleys. I live in Massachusetts, and it has as much, if not more bullshit to deal with as other states, but when I go for an inspection sticker I go to my Harley dealership that sold me the "race only" parts, so the sticker is automatic. My car is different, obviously, I have to go to an independent inspection station. Where are you guys getting your bikes inspected that causes so much concern?
I haven't gotten an inspection sticker on the shovel since the '80's or the 'train since it was bought in '03. Never been checked in Louisiana. But then the last time I was pulled over was '77 for eye protection. My dealer doesn't do inspections except for new sales. I hear that auto inspection stations do them but never had the urge to find out.

#5 ·
Speaking of Virginia, that's the only state I ever got a ticket for having an expired onspection on my motorcycle, even though I'm not from Virginia! It was in Bath County on Rt 39. It was mid August and my *WV* inspection expired August first. No warning, $100+.

#6 ·
In Delaware we go to a state run inspection station. New bikes get first inspection after 5 years. All others every two years unless you are too cheap to pay for the 2 year option then you go every year which is stupid because you don't save anything yet some people still only pay for one year.

#7 ·
The reason I bring this up is because I've seen some long threads here about the EPA cracking down on motorcycle emissions, and riders worrying about passing inspection.

My town recently passed a "noise ordinance," but the motorcycle cops ride Harleys off and on duty. Can you see the absurdity of a motorcycle cop on a Harley stopping a Harley rider because of noise? This noise ordinance seems to discriminate against hopped-up cars and ricers with their sound systems blasting, but the Harley riders seem to get free pass, and I'm happy about that, obviously, but at the same time it pisses me off when I get stopped in my LS1 f-body and the Harley guys (including me) are overlooked. Can't win 'em all I guess.

#8 ·
utrvp said:
In Delaware we go to a state run inspection station. New bikes get first inspection after 5 years. All others every two years unless you are too cheap to pay for the 2 year option then you go every year which is stupid because you don't save anything yet some people still only pay for one year.
Oh, I see, your Harley dealership doesn't do inspections?

#11 ·
Motorcycle inspections here in Jersey consist of checking for working blinkers, horn, brake lights. That is all, no emmission testing....yet.

Last time I went to get a bike inspected I failed. Because I didn't have reflectorization on my helmet :blink: :badmood: I argued with the guy that it was my bike, not me that was supposed to be inspected. I climbed off the bike and said I could do everything he needed without even being on the bike, that way I wouldn't even need a helmet. No dice.

Went and got the reflectors and went right through, no probs. I live in one seriously screwed up state (not mental, the actual state, NJ).

darrell

#12 ·
Ridewv said:
Speaking of Virginia, that's the only state I ever got a ticket for having an expired onspection on my motorcycle, even though I'm not from Virginia! It was in Bath County on Rt 39. It was mid August and my *WV* inspection expired August first. No warning, $100+.
I live in VA.

My wife got a ticket for an expired inspection tag. I got the inspection done and presented the proof to the judge. Charge dismissed. :cool:

#14 ·
Player said:
Fellas, I'm trying to find out why you don't go to your Harley dealer for inspections? Is having inspections done at the dealership unique to Massachusetts??? Obviously a Harley dealership isn't going bust a Harley rider's balls.
....some places inspections are controled and run at state owned facilities. They are not delegated to repair shops and dealers.

#17 · (Edited)
It isn't just an emissions test but could be a visual check when a cop stops you on the side of the road. It has been illegal to modify a motorcycle since 1979, re. Clean Air Act of 1979 and "tampering" clause (fine is $10,000). The tapering clause bascially states you can't change a vehicle from they way you bought it from the manufacturer. Exceptions are using EPA certified parts or getting the vehicle recertified by EPA. It has never been enforced on motorcycles but the EPA is acting like they will start doing so. Example, your stock mufflers have an EPA certification stamped on them. No EPA stamp and your in violation. It's very easy to see mods on a bike and California is said to be training thier law enforcement to spot illegal mods to a bike. Bigger rear tires and different gearing than stock, etc is all considered "tampering". Here is the American Iron Magazine article that explains why it could become a pain in the ass for everyone, regardless of where you live.

http://www.bikernet.com/news/PageViewer.asp?PageID=711

From the article: "it’s illegal, and has been since 1979, to change engine components like air cleaners, cams, pistons, heads, flywheels or crankshafts, carburetors, fuel injection modules, intake manifolds, or exhaust pipes on street motorcycles unless the finished bike has been tested and the amount of emissions the motorcycle produces did not increase. Changing gear ratios and putting on a fatter rear tire can also affect emissions because motorcycles are emissions-tested as a complete vehicle, not as individual components."

#18 ·
CherokeeTad said:
It isn't just an emissions test but could be a visual check when a cop stops you on the side of the road. It has been illegal to modify a motorcycle since 1979, re. Clean Air Act of 1979 and "tampering" clause (fine is $10,000). The tapering clause bascially states you can't change a vehicle from they way you bought it from the manufacturer. Exceptions are using EPA certified parts or getting the vehicle recertified by EPA. It has never been enforced on motorcycles but the EPA is acting like they will start doing so. Example, your stock mufflers have an EPA certification stamped on them. No EPA stamp and your in violation. It's very easy to see mods on a bike and California is said to be training thier law enforcement to spot illegal mods to a bike. Bigger rear tires and different gearing than stock, etc is all considered "tampering". Here is the American Iron Magazine article that explains why it could become a pain in the ass for everyone, regardless of where you live.

http://www.bikernet.com/news/PageViewer.asp?PageID=711

From the article: "it’s illegal, and has been since 1979, to change engine components like air cleaners, cams, pistons, heads, flywheels or crankshafts, carburetors, fuel injection modules, intake manifolds, or exhaust pipes on street motorcycles unless the finished bike has been tested and the amount of emissions the motorcycle produces did not increase. Changing gear ratios and putting on a fatter rear tire can also affect emissions because motorcycles are emissions-tested as a complete vehicle, not as individual components."
Same with cars and trucks. Lived in SW Missouri and emissions is not required for cars/trucks. Tons of diesels running modified pipes and intakes, they are loud and smoke like crazy and they are never stopped. Same goes for cars that we all own or see on the road. Not too concerned in my area and California is another country when it comes to the things they focus on and what they enforce. The first guy that gets stopped on his bike just needs to point at the Governor and the bikes he rides. They are all modified. Bigger things to worry about. I would support the groups fighting this EPA rules for bikes but it is also illegal to be illegal alien in this country and Calif. has a bigger problem with all of the illegal mexicans to worry about stopping bikers. I'm not that concerned.

#20 · (Edited)
Colorado - no safety inspection, no emissions check. Proof of insurance and valid tags and you're good to go.

Except for the Propipes, everything I've done is stealthy...I've wondered how close I could get it to pass an emissions test by putting my stock pipes back on and having a custom "EPA-only" map created for me.

#21 ·
In Louisiana, an inspection cost (I believe) $10 and the Certified Inspection Station (can be a gas station) cannot charge more than that. Since the dealer I know has a shop rate of $60/hour with a waiting line, it ain't worth it to him.
At one time in Baton Rouge an emission test was mandated by the EPA due to area air quality (heavy industrial emissions). When you got your inspection, they were required to do a litmus paper test on the exhaust.

#22 ·
Excellent points CherokeeTad! And thanks for the link.

I didn't think about the police making visual inspections, but so far around here it hasn't been a factor. With the way things are going though, that could change. I can see now how this could become a "pain in the ass."

Thanks again.

#23 ·
PitBull said:
Same with cars and trucks. Lived in SW Missouri and emissions is not required for cars/trucks. Tons of diesels running modified pipes and intakes, they are loud and smoke like crazy and they are never stopped. Same goes for cars that we all own or see on the road. Not too concerned in my area and California is another country when it comes to the things they focus on and what they enforce. The first guy that gets stopped on his bike just needs to point at the Governor and the bikes he rides. They are all modified. Bigger things to worry about. I would support the groups fighting this EPA rules for bikes but it is also illegal to be illegal alien in this country and Calif. has a bigger problem with all of the illegal mexicans to worry about stopping bikers. I'm not that concerned.
You may wanna get more concerned...sh*t runs down hill...the EPA can and will mandate country wide emissions testing in the not too distant future...our having been "not concerned" is what got us to this point...if we don't address this issue NOW we soon won't have a voice at all...

#24 ·
Player said:
Fellas, I'm trying to find out why you don't go to your Harley dealer for inspections? Is having inspections done at the dealership unique to Massachusetts??? Obviously a Harley dealership isn't going bust a Harley rider's balls.
The HD dealerships in Texas do safety inspections, no emissions. I moved here about 7 months ago form Colorado, that state does not have motorcycle inspections, automobiles must be take to a state run facility for emissions tests.

#25 ·
I guess the way the EPA could handle this is to require all motorcycles to get a emissions test and a sound noise test before they could be licensed in a state. But they haven't done this in the past for cars/trucks so that would happen first for all cars/trucks. States are all handling emissions test differently (example in Utah on certain large pop. counties emissions tests are required for cars/trucks but in most counties they are not). Two factors come into play, first this seems to be a state run issue, second the costs to equip all states and jurisdictions with the skills and equipment to test for both emissions and noise level would be a long drawn-out process. I think if they decided to do this today it would take years and cost billions of $$$ just to get all of the cars/trucks in line. I have my OEM slip-ons and airfilter and if it ever becomes an issue 3-4 years from now I guess I will put them back on for the test :)

#26 ·
Ironrdr said:
Motorcycle inspections here in Jersey consist of checking for working blinkers, horn, brake lights. That is all, no emmission testing....yet.

Last time I went to get a bike inspected I failed. Because I didn't have reflectorization on my helmet :blink: :badmood: I argued with the guy that it was my bike, not me that was supposed to be inspected. I climbed off the bike and said I could do everything he needed without even being on the bike, that way I wouldn't even need a helmet. No dice.

Went and got the reflectors and went right through, no probs. I live in one seriously screwed up state (not mental, the actual state, NJ).

darrell
The thing I hated about living there was those damn state-run inspection stations. Whenever I went on a Saturday (which was the only day I could get there), there was always a 1-2 hour wait.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.