V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Just hoping someone can tell me if I'm doing something wrong.Last night I tried to adjust the enrichener /choke on my 1995 FXDWG as it would keep sliding in when I went to start the bike. no major just a pain.I followed the instructions in my Clymer backed off the hex nut dropped the cable down and tried to turn that plastic circular adjuster while holding the flat part of threaded cable with a spanner Well it would not move at all in either direction and I was being pretty careful as its all plastic, should it move freely after you remove the cable from its mounting bracket or am I doing this allwrong? I didnt want to take to it with the WD40 as its says not to lubricate it at all, any advice would be appreciated .

Cheers

Tobycat1

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
The small black knurled knob (adjuster) should move. If you turn it counter-clockwise, it should loosen up and turn all the way off the threads. On a 95, if it's never been moved it's probably just tight.

·
Registered
297 Posts
As the cable housing wears it gets to the point where there is no more adjustment. It is possible that you are at that point. If so, the cable will need replacement. If you cannot loosen that knurled Knob it may just be overtight or glued in place. The housing does crack fairly easily. New cable is $25 from the dealer...........Bill

·
Banned
871 Posts
If I were you, I'd be getting a real manual for the bike. That means a H-D Factory Service Manual. You can use the Clymer book for toilet paper or to soak up oil off the ground. That's about all it's worth. To be fair, there are a couple decent photos in it. The specs and instructions have a LOT of errors and missing data, though. :) If you can afford a Harley, it doesn't make sense to skimp on the most important tool you will ever need... the manual.

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
My 1995 FXDWG does the same thing. Sometimes the enrichener knob does just right and stays out when I pull it. Other times it wants to POP right back in when I let go of it. My '95 only has 26,000 miles on it and I know the cable is NOTworn out.....so don't change it. Loosen up the hex nut on the other side of the knob. and then snug it up again. That plastic nut right there by the knob may help too. Try that first.

I agree, the choke popping back in is a kind of a pain, but not too much of a pain.

What I do in cold weather is pull it out and if it pops back in I just hold it out by hand until I count to 30...then, I drive away. I will NEVER worry about changing the cable until it doesn't work anymore.

Semper Fi,
Steve...Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
Registered
297 Posts
steveusmc said:
My 1995 FXDWG does the same thing. Sometimes the enrichener knob does just right and stays out when I pull it. Other times it wants to POP right back in when I let go of it. My '95 only has 26,000 miles on it and I know the cable is NOTworn out.....so don't change it. Loosen up the hex nut on the other side of the knob. and then snug it up again. That plastic nut right there by the knob may help too. Try that first.

I agree, the choke popping back in is a kind of a pain, but not too much of a pain.

What I do in cold weather is pull it out and if it pops back in I just hold it out by hand until I count to 30...then, I drive away. I will NEVER worry about changing the cable until it doesn't work anymore.

Semper Fi,
Steve...Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003
I never need to use the choke much when I'm in Florida either. Can't tell about New Zealand though.................Bill

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nauipro said:
I never need to use the choke much when I'm in Florida either. Can't tell about New Zealand though.................Bill
Thanks for all the replies, I tightened up the hex nut at the back a little more and left the plastic adjuster alone as it still wouldnt budge. This seems to have improved things and the choke stays out now. Probably wont last but its no major.

Nuaipro-New Zealand's a little colder than florida we're going into Winter now,temperature today its 15 degrees celcius ( not sure what it is in fahernheit?)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts