V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1999 FLHT. I didnt purchase the bike new. It was purchased at 23000 miles off Ebay. The bike is in great shape. Motor is strong, oil pressure are inline with what I have read here. It currently has 25,500 on it. Im debating going to a 95' conversion. I have know idea if anyone has done anything to the cams or any other work. Im using a V&H pro-pipe w/a 42HSR. I changed the ignitioin module to a dyna tc-88-2. Im interested in using gear drive w/andrews cams. My wrench is an independent. He very familair with head work and I trust him. He'll do the head work here. ( He does heads for harley's, sprint car motors and drag boats. Everyone ive talked to is happy with his work.) Now to my questions. I ride alone alot, mainly 100 to 120 mile rides on the weekend. Some 2 up when my wife insists (warm weather only). Does anyone have suggestions to the lift of the cam. Im looking to have 85+ hp.
I'll do the best to answer question that you have. I can get a bit technical (but dont press me...lol)

Thanks in advance for your respones

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More info!

I didnt make myself real clear and I will look at my posts before actually posting them.

Being a Touring bike, its mainly back roads . So torque would be of importance for me. 1800-4800 rpm riding is the majority. I normally shift out at around 6200 if Im running it hard. What I experienced with the 2up is after riding most the day in 90 degree heat (about 200 miles that time) the bike just felt sluggish. (no im not telling my old lady to go on a diet). I dont like to ride on interstate, so alot of my time is spent between 2000 -4500 rpm. Is .510 enough lift to wake the motor up or should I try to reach up to the .570 range.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Your talking TW 50's ? A good cam that some folks sware by. Your local mech that will take care of the heads is worth 10-15% more power! You sure will use that work with a .510 lift cam but what CR do you want to run? I agree under 10:1 or 10"1 is enought and so will other folks because 85 HP is easy for a TC. Build your engine for Torque and the HP will come.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply!

Hadnt mentioned CR. Looks like from the andrews website 10:1 is plenty. After reading some more the 55g seems more what I'm looking for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts