V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here it is. Any info will be appreciated. I have more pictures, but cant figure out how to post more than one at a time.

Thanks, John

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply any info on K type harleys. Ive never heard of that style. Is there a web site or somthing to look at? Sorry for all the questions Im new with bikes. Its been 10 years just to find one I liked.
I build cars in my spare time so the bike shouldnt be so bad. I just have to find out what engine it had and if it has to be the same type that I put back in it. I have a 1967 Firebird, 1968 Chevelle, 1969 International Scout 4x4, and a 1996 Mustang. Any car questions Ill help were I can.

Thanks John

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
I don't know. It looks pretty low with that rake. It does not look like it could take a 35 degree turn if it had an engine mounted.

·
Registered
381 Posts
From Sportster.org

1952:
The Model K Sport and Sport Solo motorcycles were introduced this year. They were all new designs. They featured styling and influence that was part Model ST 165, part W 45 Sidevalve and part FL 61 OHV Big Twin, with other innovations incorporated. The Model K was an exciting and different motorcycle. It represented the most technologically advanced and modern motorcycle that Harley Davidson had produced to date. Although based on the proven 45 Side Valve formula from 1929, the engine was an all new design. It featured larger cams, carburetor, and higher compression than the W. The engine and transmission now shared the same engine cases. The transmission had four speeds and a hand operated clutch. The K was the first Harley Davidson to incorporate modern hydraulic dampened suspension on both wheels, with telescopic forks in front and a rear swingarm and shock absorber combination. The K foot-shifted on the right and braked on the left not so much as to copy the British but to lay out the controls in anticipation of flat track racing.
Facts about the 1952 Model K: The engine had a relatively high (for a Side Valve) compression ratio of 6.5 to 1. The cylinder bore was 2-3/4" with a 3-13/16" stroke for a total displacement of 45.12 Cubic Inches. It came with an 1-1/2" Bore Linkert "Bombsight" carburetor Model M-53. The engine produced 30 horsepower. The motorcycle had a wheelbase of 56". Standard tires and wheels were Goodyear or Firestone and measured 19" by 3.25", front and rear. The gas tank held 4-1/2 gallons. The oil tank held 3 quarts. The transmission oil which was separate held 1-1/5 pints. Standard sprockets were Engine-30, Clutch-59, Countershaft-21, and Rear Wheel-51 teeth. Gear ratios were 1st- 12.37, 2nd- 8.74, 3rd- 6.21 with a final 4th- 4.77 to 1. Tire pressures were recommended at 20psi front and 22psi rear for a 150 lb rider. When this weight is exceeded by 50 lbs or more increase front pressure 1psi and rear 2psi for each additional 50 lbs. Spark Plug gap with circuit breaker (distributor) should be .025" to .030". Point gap is .022" Ignition timing is 19/64" BTDC, with the spark control in the fully advanced position. Cold Valve Tappet clearance is .004"-.005" on the intake tappets and .010"-.011" on the exhaust. Adjust every 1500 miles minimum. Forks hold 4-1/2 ounces dry or add 3-1/2 ounces after draining during regular service. These specs are for most K`s and remain the same unless noted later. 1952 Model K`s were available in the following standard colors: Tropical Green, Rio Blue, Persian Red, and Brilliant Black. Special colors at a slight extra charge were Metallic Bronco Bronze, White, and Metallic Marine Blue.

1952 and 1953 K Sport Models, (not KK), performance figures: The K was known to run the 1/4 mile in about 16.8 seconds at around 53 miles per hour and had a top speed of just over a hundred miles per hour flat out.

A better picture of the K

Looks like the neck was reworked a little on that frame. You don't want to go with longer forks though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey ronf,
Youre info is a great help.Do you think that motor would be considered a pan head? I will be looking for a motor soon if any one has one for sale. Thanks.

John

·
Registered
50 Posts
But its a rigid......K's were introduced in late 51 (November) so it would be considered a 52. It looks like the rear brake drum is on the right side correct? And with no seat post tube Im saying its a Sportster frame. BUT since the frame has been rake whos saying that other stuff hasen't been changed.

Just my .02

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well calvin youre right,
The bike used to be a soft tail bbut someone put a kit on it to make it a rigid. I think this is how they lowered it. And a few have told me the motor mounts were changed also. It has a double tube coming from the bottom of the frame to the top of the frame almost vertical under the seat with some mounting holes on it. I will take a picture of the mounts if this can help figure out the motor that goes in this thing. It realy could be a great bike I think.

(geting confused) John

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Picture this engine in your frame. Now picture yourself riding and you are approaching a downhill right curve.

Ouch!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This info is a great help. Ill have to make the bike a little taller. Im new at this. So this is probably a dumb question but, whats a down tube.Ive heard that some bikes have single down tubes and some have double down tubes. Would this be the reason some motors have a seprate transmission?
John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts