V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much vibration is normal on a 96" S&S? My feet wont stay on the pegs at hi-way or cruising speeds! Putting around town it seems fine.The bike is a custom built 1994 Soft tail.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
Sundance96" said:
How much vibration is normal on a 96" S&S? My feet wont stay on the pegs at hi-way or cruising speeds! Putting around town it seems fine.The bike is a custom built 1994 Soft tail.

Was it like that when you first got the engine done? I would check the run out on the pinion shaft of the flywheel assembly. If it's more than about .003, I would suspect that the flywheels have shifted. That will cause a major imbalance condition.

If that is the case, the only cure is removal so that the flywheels assembly can be re-trued. At that point, you might as well have them re-balanced while you are at it as mentioned above.

·
Registered
487 Posts
dont forget to check engine mount torques front rear and top and the check the trans mounts have seen if builder did not take paint or powdercoat off mounting points these will loosen up

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same on my 97 Springer. It viberates like crazy over 4500RPM. When it hits 4500 it takes off like a bat outahell. I love it!

·
Registered
372 Posts
The engines can be custom built or rebuilt and the crankshaft balance factor moved around so that the vibration will be greatly reduced at the rpm range you will use most.
Example, if one wants smoothness at a hiway crusing speed, a slighty higher balance factor would be used.
If one wants a full blaster, then a lower balance factor would be a better choice.
The head/piston design on these are a problem, it can be seen that the company dropped it on thier latest engines

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your advice!! Tore engine down this week and found one of the flywheels had come loose!!!!Said the hell with it and orderd new flywheel assembly!Also the cam was on its way out!! (Hardening was coming off one of the lobes!)Time for a overhaul!
Thanks again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts