V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.............here is the deal. I have the dollars in hand and ready for some extra HP for my 02 Ultra. I want low and mid-range torque for two up riding. I don't care about racing from one stop light to the next. I want real touring world performance.
Any and all comments on Stage II with heads and which cams are best for touring bikes is welcomed.
I know there is a lot of good knowledge out there in the bagger crowd.

Thanks,
Tommie

·
Registered
305 Posts
My advice is don't be in a hurry, and don't let someone talk you into something until you are completely satisfied that's what you really want. (ask me how I know!) LOL

There are many proven cominations out there that work well. Why don't you give Short Block Charlie a call.

My recs for cams? I've got Andrews 37B's and am happy, others I ride with use the Crane 310's much to their satisfaction.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Cold Rider said:
My advice is don't be in a hurry, and don't let someone talk you into something until you are completely satisfied that's what you really want. (ask me how I know!) LOL

OK I'll ask, how do you know?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm not going to "bash" any dealer since I'm taking the fault here, but this may help others that were in my position to avoid making the mistake I did.

I set up with a dealer to big bore my bike using 37b cams, flat top pistons, and Cometic .032 head gaskets. After taking a day of vacation to drive the 140 miles down there, and after they had my engine torn apart, they told me that they forgot to order the Cometic head gaskets. They said they recommended milling some off the domes of the HD 10.25:1 cast pistons and using the regular head gaskets. Not wanting to take another day of vacation to leave my bike and come back - I AGREED TO THIS WORK (my mistake).

Now I have a 205 lbs of cranking compression - detonation prone - hard to start bike. Again this is my fault.

What I should have done is stick to my origional plan - which is what SBC is calling his Scottsman hop-up - and tell them to finish the job when they get the parts I wanted.

I'll be installing the flat tops and commetic gaskets this winter - guess I'm only out a couple hundred dollars - everything considered, a pretty cheap lesson.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i ride i mean i ride over 35000 on a 99 rdking i just did the following.. stock bore i dont race..k b hi comp hi perf forged pistons more bang and runs cooler..adjust pushrods.. 211 scrm eag cams nw bearings.. sprung washers for the oilpump(many newers already upgraded here)..bub drag style 2 out pipes ..torque cones and bubs slipin tourque baffs.. scrm eag adjust able ignition thats all i did really impressed but i wanted torque reliability ridability and not rewrenchin all the time but thats what I wanted...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just port and polished,high compression pistons,257 cams, true duals with thunderheaders, adjustable push rods 98tq and 95 hp. Get out your wallet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts