V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Engine stalls when stopping (UPDATE)

I'm hoping someone here has had the same problem and can offer some advice...I bought a wrecked '03 FLSTCI and rebuilt it (there was no damage to the drivetrain or electronics), and it runs great except that it wants to stall every time I stop for a light or stop sign. I have to keep the throttle slightly open to keep it running. If it dies, it will fire right up and idle fine.

The bike sat for 1-1/2 yrs outside at an impound yard in Rhode Island before I got ahold of it, so I suspect there might be issues related to weather/corrosion. I've sprayed everything down with carb cleaner to see if there were any vacuum leaks and didn't find anything. I've cleaned all the connectors around the throttle body and didn't find anything out of the ordinary there. I know I'll probably have to take it to the dealer and run the scanalyzer on it, but I'd like to try and avoid dealing with those weasels if possible.

Any ideas??

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
Mac4020 said:
I'm hoping someone here has had the same problem and can offer some advice...I bought a wrecked '03 FLSTCI and rebuilt it (there was no damage to the drivetrain or electronics), and it runs great except that it wants to stall every time I stop for a light or stop sign. I have to keep the throttle slightly open to keep it running. If it dies, it will fire right up and idle fine.

The bike sat for 1-1/2 yrs outside at an impound yard in Rhode Island before I got ahold of it, so I suspect there might be issues related to weather/corrosion. I've sprayed everything down with carb cleaner to see if there were any vacuum leaks and didn't find anything. I've cleaned all the connectors around the throttle body and didn't find anything out of the ordinary there. I know I'll probably have to take it to the dealer and run the scanalyzer on it, but I'd like to try and avoid dealing with those weasels if possible.

Any ideas??
Maybe,

It's the fuel pressure. Check the manual for required fuel pressure and proceedure to test.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, so I followed Grayrider's advice and checked the TPS voltage. I don't have a SERT, so I just used my voltmeter and checked the signal voltage at the ECU (gray/violet wire). It was reading low, about .23V, so I adjusted the TPS. I tried .35V, .40V, and .45V and test rode the bike after each adjustment. It seemed better at .45V, but would idle fine at some stops, and die at others. Still runs great through the entire RPM range other than stopping. When the idle does drop way off, if I give it a little throttle for 10-15 seconds, it smooths out and idles fine again.

Needless to say, I'm still at a loss on this one, and open to suggestions.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
If you've adjusted the throttle blade per GRock's suggestion and that didn't work, then you might check the speed sensor. Harleyhog says that a dirty or defective one has an affect on idle.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
~!Awesome! Problem solved!

Apparently when the bike was wrecked it must have tweaked something relating to the butterfly. Once I figured out that I had to remove the plug over the adjusting screw, I set the TPS back to it's original position and turned up the idle until it reached .45V (which is where my other '03 FLSTCI was set) and voila!, no more problems.

I appreciate the tips, I'm sure you guys saved me much $$ and aggravation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ok, my speedo stopped working and the bike (2004 Deuce) stalled when stopping.
both problems were fixed by replacing the engine ,located speed sensor.(therews another under the speedo apparently)
runs perfectly now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
change rear light globe Harley Deuce

Had to change a rear light globe 2003 Softail Deuce, bit of a hidden entry point, anyway here's how to do it.
Find the light that lights up your number [plate, there are 3 holes, 2 holes have a screw but the middle hole doesn't, stick a screwdriver up into that hole and push gently, the rear light will pop out.
Hope it helps
Nomadic

·
Registered
710 Posts
A buddy of mine had a very similar issue which was driving him nuts! Luckily we were near Mcdermotts HD in fort anne ny. They took it in and found there were multiple computer upgrades which were never loaded in his bike. They updated the files for 45 bucks and the bike was and is running like new...got me and my brother thinking, so we had ours checked and we had missing updates also...THIS IS AFTER OUR BIKES HAVE BEEN AT OUR REGULAR HD DEALERS FOR SERVICE MULTIPLE TIMES...MORE PROOF THEY COULD NOT CARE LESS ABOUT THE CUSTOMER, EXCEPT FOR HIS MONEY...
Hope it works out.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Sad but true about "MOST MOCO DEALERS". It has become more of a problen since the moco took out all the indies from working on the bikes. They no longer receive any discounts or help from the dealers.
A very good friend of mine just finished working 32 years with the local dealer. He was receiving help from his old boss when he needed parts, now that the dealership has been sold to a new owner, that is no longer true and he pays full retail for everything. An employee who gave 32 years to Harley and as soon as he retires, he pays full retail. Sad very Sad!!! Fairshake

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.