V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 98 superglide the engine will keep running for a few seconds after turning key off. just started doing it last week, any ideas what to look for .
TIA Jim

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
jb1016 said:
Have a 98 superglide the engine will keep running for a few seconds after turning key off. just started doing it last week, any ideas what to look for .
TIA Jim
You mean continues to idle like normal and then shuts down? A little more info on the bike and the circumstances would help...........

Same thing when you use the run/stop switch or the ignition switch?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it will keep idling for a few seconds then shut down, doesnt matter if i use kill switch or key. completely stock motor with carb.plugs tan in color look great. bikes runs great.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
jb1016 said:
Yes it will keep idling for a few seconds then shut down, doesnt matter if i use kill switch or key. completely stock motor with carb.plugs tan in color look great. bikes runs great.

Hot and cold same thing?

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
Isnt that called dieseling?

How old is the gas? Same brand of gas as before this started? Try a different gas station...

This is assuming nothing has changed at all and just one thought.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Try different gas

I agree that you should try different gas. My dad said his sportster will do that if he gets gas a certain gas stations. I havn't had it happen to mine, but I stick with name brand, premium unleaded gas.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Probable cause is dieseling caused by excessive carbon build up due to oil consumption or overly rich jetting.
Remove a/c, run engine until good and hot, spray water with a squirt bottle in the carb throat while revving engine at about 3000 rpm (use throttle lock and stay away from carb throat, engine may backfire and burn you). Amount is right when the engine rpm goes down significantly without stalling, don't use a hose, use the squirt bottle to avoid hydraulic lock of the engine. Use up a quart of water.
May create a lot of smoke and odor, stay away from neighbors if you still have any..........
This cleans up the combustion chamber and should do away with the dieseling which will beat the h$ll out of the crank bearing. Until you fix the problem, stop engine by putting it in 5th gear and let the clutch go . Check jetting and oil consumption, heat range of plugs.......

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
The first day he had to drop off the snotty kids at high school, he comes in, sounds like an airplane about to crash, then BOOM everyone hits the floor. Huge cloud of smoke.

You must go rent this movie now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts