V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Sportster 1200 /1992 and I opened the gearcase to change the gasket and after I put it back the engine doesn't fire I don't now what to do can anybody help me.:huh:

·
Registered
25 Posts
You will need a shop manual. If you have them out of time means you pulled them out some. You should have not just takeing off the gearcase cover. Know will will have to remove the rockers to get the pushrods out so you can get the cams back in. You might have the fire out of time to. Did you remove the timing cover. Unless you are willing to get a shop manual and tear into your motor. Take to the dealer or a indy.

·
Banned
873 Posts
First, like everyone else said, get a shop manual. Best $50 you will ever spend on your bike. I agree with the cam timing thing. The best way to fix it is to take the four cams out and line them up from scratch. You'll have to take the rocker tops off so you can pull the pushrods out; you won't be able to get the cam shafts under the tappets unless the rockers are off the top of the pushrods.

Before you take the rockers off, you'll have to take the gas tank off, too. Anyway, it's all outlined in the manual, but if I'm correct: gas tank, rocker tops, pushrods, cam cover, cams. Line them up, put it back together in reverse order.

The book will tell all, give you a picture of the proper alignment, and give you the torque specs when you bolt it all back together.

Try surfing here: http://www.sportster.org/tech/
and here: http://www.nrhsperformance.com/tech_xlcaminstall.shtml

ps One last thing, just to see what y'all think. See the shaft that sticks out below the four cams? I can't remember what it's called w/o the book, but after I pulled my four cams, I put an adjustqable wrench on it and turned it to line it's dot up and start my lineup based of it. Good technique??

pps Don't try anything without the manual, and don't do it just 'cause someone said so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts