V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had a tc88 now for six months, has 35k miles. has a mechanical rattle that almost sounds like a lifter or a heat shield loose between about 2000 rpm and 3500 rpm. one of my amigo's tc has the same kind of sound.

I'm not worried about it but if it can be cured easily I might even try to fix it. Just wondering if its a common complaint.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have noises on my '00 Fatboy like that. It turned out to be the Shifter. It still does it. Is there a cure for that noisy linkage? I usually just shove my boot against it.

·
Banned
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HIPPO said:
What year?
Hippo, an 01 flhtci. 35k miles.

hard to describe a sound but it could best be described as a mechanical ringing sound that sometimes segues into a tick. never at idle , mostly in the middle of the rpm range.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If the bike is stock and never was opened you are getting into the grey area where it might be worth it to take a look at the chain tensioners.
The 01's also don't have the latest version of the lifters and some bikes have lunched the front outer cam bearing.

More then likely nothing is wrong, but some bikes that have rough cam chains do lunch the tensioners. The parts are dirt cheap but it's a pain to take the pipes off just to look. Maybe there is nice Andrews cam in your future. LOL.

·
Banned
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanx, Hippo!

I'm not going to get into it just yet, I've never had a quiet harley and this one isn't any different either.maybe when she hits 50k I'll take her apart just to look,until then I will ride on.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
If anything elese would fail beside the bearings that would not be under warrenty. In other words keep a eye on it, chain tensioneres can fail with little or no warning. The outter chain can be seen by taking the cover off and the tensioner too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts