V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a new Ultra Classic that pings at low rpm and under load, such as taking off from a standstill. I'm burning Amoco Gold (92 Octane). Dealer installed Stage II Big Bore kit with SE cam and V&H Slip-Ons and advised against installing a Power Commander.

Also have intermittent engine noise between 2,000 - 2,500 in most gears and when pulling slight to moderate inclines at cruising speeds that sounds like a loose heat shield or like bb's swirling around in a metal bowl.

Anybody with similar issues have any ideas/thoughts on solutions?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
238 Posts
is it a ticking noise mostly coming from the LHS of the bike ?

I have it too, dealer says it is normal and it drives me nuts.

·
Registered
250 Posts
On a 2002 Ultra 1550 Stage I which I drive there was always a clicking sound under acceleration from 1500-2800 RPM in 3, 4, 5 gears. Any incline or riding two up aggravates the sound. This was with dealer recailbration of the ECM . The sound is caused by the ECM doing Spark retard to eliminate knock under load. This is "normal". While this may not be too bad, it is still a big loss of power and a sign that the engine really wants to knock. One reason is even the recalibration supplied by HD for 1550 must stilll be EPA friendly
After loading the EFI tuner calibration, I tuned out all this problem in the 1500-3000 range by enriching the mixture for throttle positions 60-100%. On the EFI data map you could see the knock reatrd at all ranges before tuning and after loading the new calibration and tuning it is gone. My mileage may suffer under acceleration and load but I get no more noise and I get much better pick up. There was no comparison.
I guess this would be the same for all the touring bikes - but I ride and tune the Ultra.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.