V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question for all you guys. Just how noisy is your Sportster's engine? I've got a 2002 883 Custom and since it's my first Harley I was just curious. I know that Harley's tend to have noisier engines than other brands of bikes. Mine just seems really noisy. I've had other HD guys listen to it and they said "sounds perfect to me". I've got my 1K mile service coming up and I'll ask the dealer to see if the noise is excessive.
I'm sure all is just fine and it just takes some getting used to, but it would sure help ease my mind knowing you guys all the felt the same way when you first rode your bike.

Thanks,
KrustyTC

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Krusty, I have the exact same bike as you. I think mine is a little noisy also. To me it sounds almost like metal on metal. I also have been told it is normal. In fact, every little annoyance I have discovered I am told it is normal. :eek:

I know this is the low end of the Harley models, but I was really expecting more. Still there is nothing quite like owning and riding a Harley. I guess I am in love with my bike. Still dreaming of owning a Dyna though.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate you all getting back to me. I feel much better about it now. To be honest I was pretty much expecting those answers. I know that the HD engine is pretty noisy, especially the EVO. It's still not as noisy as my brother in laws 81 Sportster (Ironhead motor).

I really love this bike. I'm very happy with the power and the ride, it is a little stiff but that's ok. Not so bad that I'll go out and spend $400.00 on Progressive shocks. I'd rather spend that on some V&H pipes. Then I won't be able to hear the engine noise!

thanks again,
KrustyTC

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just had the 1K service done and the engine noise is quite a bit less than before. They must have adjusted the valves and stuff. Made a big difference. Of course your suggestion would help too!

later,
KrustyTC

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I also thought mine was a little ticky I checked all I could didn't find anything out of wack, so I put the Lukas oil treatment to it all better now!!

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've never heard of that product. Would it void my warranty if I used it? I thought of asking them to go with a synthetic oil at the 1K service but decided to wait for the 2500 to make the switch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2001 Hugger that has been converted to 1200. The engine sounded noisey to me, but I was told that it was normal. On my way back from Sturgis, the engine had a serious break in it, the mileage is just over 18k, am waiting for the dealership to find out what's up.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry to hear about your troubles. As I posted the noise is much less after the 1000 mile service. It sounds like a regular motorcycle now.
And if there is something major wrong the bike doesn't run like it. It has plenty of power, shift smoothly and doesn't seem to have any problems.

Makes me glad I got the 2 year warranty though.

later,
KrustyTC

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a '99 883, and it has been noisy since day one. Well, I thought it was noisy until I rode my partner's '95 model! Wow, mine sounds like a sewing machine compared to his!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts