V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
This space is blank
Joined
·
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 FXDWGI with the basic Stage I, reflash, and 16 Gauge exhaust.

Question is, for a noticable performance increase, but still keeping overall good cruising would a cam upgrade be enough, or is there a significant benefit to the big cost of a 95" or a 103"?

Not trying to be cheap, just wondered if a set of cams would give a decent boost, and would a 95" be a lot of money for not a big increase, or if doing a 95" would it make sense to just do a 103" since at that point you are tearing the entire engine apart. Hope this makes sense?

Or, any good suggestions from someone who has tried a number of mods and found out what is worthwhile doing or not.

Thanks.
 

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
Joined
·
2,292 Posts
DCRANER

I jumped in this week & bought the parts for my 06 Heritage Classic. With 2 up I felt it was lacking.

Ordered all HD on line;
95" flat top 10.5 pistons ($100)
se257 cams ($210)
Heads will be done by Biasley's ($750 & they picked the cams and compression ratio they like to work with their heads)
Cyl bore ($150)
Baisleys adj push rod kit ($150)
Misc parts about $250 (gaskets and such)
Tuning (?)
Should be in about $2000 or less with myself doing all the work.

This list should get you somewhat close to pick from.

If you want a stroker, bring out the big bucks! Parts are much more and complicated labor, more than I'd be comfortable with.

This will be my first top end & cams, but I'm not too worried out it, I bought the manual and there is lots of help right here, what a great group of riders.

I'll keep ya'll informed,

Chris

Oops, don't forget you'll need a Power comander or SERT to get it tuned either way you do it, about ($350)
 

·
This space is blank
Joined
·
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SILVER BULLET said:
Put on a set of Dewey's heads and a Andrews37G cams and you will be a happy camper. Look in the dyno section.
I was kind of thinking something like that. Heads and cams would be easy to do, but would there be any issues with the computerized fuel injection system? An old bike with a carb and no electronic engine controls would not be an issue, so I am not sure how well this would work with my 05 FXDWGI.

Not questioning your knowledge, I just want to keep that smooth worry free cruising I have now. And, could I do heads & cams now and go to 95" later?

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
DECRANNER

In August I did the 95"w/203 cams. It has been a good build for me and I feel it is good money spent. The main reason I went with the HD kit is to keep all of my Warranty intact. It is considered a mild build but really changed the permormance of the bike. If you do any two up there is lot of difference there also. I have just recently passed the 7k mark on the build and no ill effects. Bike now has 13K+ and still no oil usage. My .02 Mike
 

·
This space is blank
Joined
·
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TNHARLEY said:
DECRANNER

In August I did the 95"w/203 cams. It has been a good build for me and I feel it is good money spent. The main reason I went with the HD kit is to keep all of my Warranty intact. It is considered a mild build but really changed the permormance of the bike. If you do any two up there is lot of difference there also. I have just recently passed the 7k mark on the build and no ill effects. Bike now has 13
K+ and still no oil usage. My .02 Mike
O/K, maybe this is coming in better focus now. I guess my real goal is as if I had ordered my bike from the factory with an engine upgrade. No wondering if everything was "in sinc" so to speak, and all covered by warranty.

What is the real world cost of doing what you have, and can I do it and still have warranty coverage or does my dealer have to do it to keep warranty, so then what would the dealer cost be for this whole deal?

I am old school and from the muscle car era. I want my bike to go from i.e. 1966 327 / 300 HP Vette to a 327 / 350HP option. Hope that makes sense.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,718 Posts
Get a base line dyno run, there may be more in the engine. It will give you an idea of what you have and what gains are to be expected.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,298 Posts
DCRANER said:
I was kind of thinking something like that. Heads and cams would be easy to do, but would there be any issues with the computerized fuel injection system? An old bike with a carb and no electronic engine controls would not be an issue, so I am not sure how well this would work with my 05 FXDWGI.

Not questioning your knowledge, I just want to keep that smooth worry free cruising I have now. And, could I do heads & cams now and go to 95" later?

Thanks.
Throw a Power Commander on it with Dewey's heads and forget it....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
DCRANER said:
O/K, maybe this is coming in better focus now. I guess my real goal is as if I had ordered my bike from the factory with an engine upgrade. No wondering if everything was "in sinc" so to speak, and all covered by warranty.

What is the real world cost of doing what you have, and can I do it and still have warranty coverage or does my dealer have to do it to keep warranty, so then what would the dealer cost be for this whole deal?

I am old school and from the muscle car era. I want my bike to go from i.e. 1966 327 / 300 HP Vette to a 327 / 350HP option. Hope that makes sense.
The SE parts catalog said that the kit has to be purchased and insatalled by an authorized HD dealer for all warranty to be in effect. I cut the page out and put in my file folder for bike along with all recepits. This is best time of year to get it done because the shop will give deals on labor to keep mechanics busy. In August I did the kit and also put on V/H bigshot staggards. Total bill was $2700 parts, labor and taxes. And best of all I still have all warranty plus a lot more HP and Torque. Mike
 

·
This space is blank
Joined
·
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TNHARLEY said:
The SE parts catalog said that the kit has to be purchased and insatalled by an authorized HD dealer for all warranty to be in effect. I cut the page out and put in my file folder for bike along with all recepits. This is best time of year to get it done because the shop will give deals on labor to keep mechanics busy. In August I did the kit and also put on V/H bigshot staggards. Total bill was $2700 parts, labor and taxes. And best of all I still have all warranty plus a lot more HP and Torque. Mike
My bike has only around 1,500 miles, is this a good time to do this?

And, what would you think my HP & TQ. would be compared to now. I currently have the Stage I / Flash and the 16 Gauge Harley exhaust which did give me a decent power increase.
 

·
This space is blank
Joined
·
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
O/K, maybe I am nuts.

The Harley website shows dyno numbers at the wheels, and it shows;

Stage I Big Bore 75 HP 90 TQ.

Stage II Big Bore 75 HP 85 TQ.

Now how does adding cams with Stage II give same HP and less TQ.? And both Stages graphs show peak results at about the same RPM's.

What am I missing?
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top