V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 Fatboy has sat for about a week. This morning when I started it the engine light went off and then came back on for a few seconds. Riding to work the light came back on for a couple of minutes and then went off again. Any advice, thanks, jim

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
You've got a trouble code stored in history. There is a way to retrieve it without going to the dealer but I'm not familiar with the steps on a softail. Most dealers will retrieve it and clear it for you at no charge although some do want $$$ to do it. Probably worth your while to check it out though. It will keep doing showing if not cleared for 50 start cycles.

The HD service manual will tell you how to retrieve it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2000 Fatboy is doing the same thing. I had new cam bearings put in last june. (2005 ) Did you have any trouble with your cam bearings ? Tatoo

·
Humpin One Leg at a Time
455 Posts
Tons of things can set off check engine light. The good thing is, like Ed said, it is a stored trouble code, meaning something tripped the sensor but it went back to normal. I wouldn't worry about it unless the engine light comes on and stays on. If the condition doesn't repeat itself it will self clear after 50 normal starts. Oh, and the starts have to last for a few secs, starting and killing the engine will not count as a cycle, so dont do it to clear the code :) If you are dying to know, go to your dealer. Unlike Eds area, all the ones around hear charge a diagnostic fee

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went I would ride it the light would come on again for a couple of minutes. I took it to the dealer and it read out a cam senor problem. I am replacing it. Any advice? thanks

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
Hope that fixes your problem! My bike started out indicating a sensor problem but that ended up being a symptom of a bigger electrical issue that ended up with me eventually having to have the ECM and the cam position sensor replaced.

If your engine light still indicates there's a problem, your manual (if you have one) will tell you how to pull the fault code yourself. With my Road King, you do it by turning the ignition switch on and off in a certain sequence and watching the blinking of the light to get the # of the code, then you can look it up in the manual to find out what it means.

That's just a general way to troubleshoot - it's obviously not as detailed as taking it in and putting it on a scanalyzer, but it may save a little time and $$.

If all else fails, I know there are people on the forum who can tell you the exact process to use and will help you diagnose - they helped me out when I ran into some problems a year or so ago.

Good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts