V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings - I'm installing a new engine after my old one blew a bearing. I followed the shop manual except I torqued the primary engine bolts first, then the lower mount bolts. Before torquing the Tranny bolts, I set the outer cover on the inner to see how they mate up and see a bit of a gap in the front portion of the primary, causing a slight rock when I push on the front of the outer cover (about 1/32nd of a inch). I've checked where the engine sits on the frame pads and see nothing obvious that would cause an issue like this. Has anyone seen this happen? Could the outer just be slightly warped? I really don't want to rip the engine out again and remount it. Any thoughts and help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
The problem with your outer cover not seating flush on the inner cover...I would remove the inner primary cover and then see how they fit together.

As to how to bolt the engine, trans and inner primary together, here`s how I do it:

Before installing the inner primary cover, make sure the transmission is in proper alignment with the rear sprocket or pulley.

Snug down the transmission mount bolts.

Install the inner primary to the transmission and snug the bolts.

Move the engine against the inner primary cover and bolt together snug.

Note: These bolts should go in with no problem. If they don`t, you have an alignment problem with the engine and inner primary cover.

Eyeball the lower engine mount pads to be sure the engine is sitting flat against them.

If the engine is slightly raised on any of the pads, it will need to be shimmed, otherwise, when you torque the engine mounting bolts you will put a large stress on the inner primary cover.

If everything goes together ok, torque all bolts to spec.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
The problem with your outer cover not seating flush on the inner cover...I would remove the inner primary cover and then see how they fit together.

As to how to bolt the engine, trans and inner primary together, here`s how I do it:

Before installing the inner primary cover, make sure the transmission is in proper alignment with the rear sprocket or pulley.

Snug down the transmission mount bolts.

Install the inner primary to the transmission and snug the bolts.

Move the engine against the inner primary cover and bolt together snug.

Note: These bolts should go in with no problem. If they don`t, you have an alignment problem with the engine and inner primary cover.

Eyeball the lower engine mount pads to be sure the engine is sitting flat against them.

If the engine is slightly raised on any of the pads, it will need to be shimmed, otherwise, when you torque the engine mounting bolts you will put a large stress on the inner primary cover.

If everything goes together ok, torque all bolts to spec.
Good advice. If you don't do it like this,then it will have to come back apart anyway. Get it right to start with. Sounds like a nice build.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies all. Turned out the outer cover was a touch warped, causing the issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts